Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

busybee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hello all,
I've just got a new replacement unit for for 3Gs. The battery life for the old one was ridiculous - need to charge it twice to last a full day!

Anyhow, the new 3Gs is still running iOS4.1. I'm in 2 minds on whether to upgrade the ios to the latest 4.3.3. A lot of the new features found in ios 4.2-4.3 is not really that important to me, except the one where u can prevent apps from being deleted in Restrictions. Airplay, hotspot, no use to me so far.

I'm just worried that some of the apps might not work if i stick to 4.1. But then again, my battery only started acting up when I upgraded the iOS - can't remember if it started with 4.2 but it was horrible with 4.3 (100% charged at 10am, read a few "news" online, kids played with it for an hour & half, took a couple of pix, answered a short call & the battery was dead by 5pm!),

Since this is a "new" unit, I'm not sure if 4.3 will have the same effect on the battery as it did with my previous phone.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, 4.3.3 is safe. If they gave you a new phone they must have been convinced (or badgered into accepting) that it was a hardware issue rather than software.

busybee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, 4.3.3 is safe. If they gave you a new phone they must have been convinced (or badgered into accepting) that it was a hardware issue rather than software.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The guys I deal with over here is pretty clueless. Had a one of those commonly used "custom" wallpaper on my iphone, with outline boxes that matched the apps placements & a small number at the left side of each row from 1 to 4. Guess what the customer service guy asked me when I complained about the battery & handed him my phone?

Customer service: "Did you jailbreak the iPhone?"
Me: "No, why?"
Customer service: "What''s this? Why is your homescreen has this (referring to the wallpaper)?
Me: "That's the wallpaper"
Customer service: "(pointing to the numbers on the left of each row) Yeah? what's this then?"
Me: "It's the wallpaper"
Customer service: "No. This (keeps pointing at the numbers)"
Me: "It's the wallpaper!"

Took the phone back from him & show him the jpg image and changed the wallpaper to another & changed it back again in front of him.
TRUE STORY!:eek::D

Anyhow, thanks guys. I'm sure it's safe but I'm concerned about 4.3.3 draining the battery faster than 4.1 on the 3Gs. I would like to go a day with one full charge, which I wasn't able to with 4.3.3 with my previous 3Gs.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise

I have an iPhone 3GS on 4.3.3 and have no battery problems, for what it's worth.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009

busybee said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The guys I deal with over here is pretty clueless. Had a one of those commonly used "custom" wallpaper on my iphone, with outline boxes that matched the apps placements & a small number at the left side of each row from 1 to 4. Guess what the customer service guy asked me when I complained about the battery & handed him my phone?

Customer service: "Did you jailbreak the iPhone?"
Me: "No, why?"
Customer service: "What''s this? Why is your homescreen has this (referring to the wallpaper)?
Me: "That's the wallpaper"
Customer service: "(pointing to the numbers on the left of each row) Yeah? what's this then?"
Me: "It's the wallpaper"
Customer service: "No. This (keeps pointing at the numbers)"
Me: "It's the wallpaper!"

Took the phone back from him & show him the jpg image and changed the wallpaper to another & changed it back again in front of him.
TRUE STORY!:eek::D

Anyhow, thanks guys. I'm sure it's safe but I'm concerned about 4.3.3 draining the battery faster than 4.1 on the 3Gs. I would like to go a day with one full charge, which I wasn't able to with 4.3.3 with my previous 3Gs.

That's hilarious! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.