To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillyapple, Oct 5, 2011.

1. phillyapple macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    So here is the situation: I currently have an iphone 4 on ATT. I am on a family plan with my wife. My wife has the primary line and is eligible for an upgrade, me being the secondary line I am not up until may 2012. It is possible for me to upgrade at the subsidized price by buying it on my wife's line, which would push her date back. Gazelle has offered me $290 for my iPhone 4, and is currently shipping my box to send in my iPhone. I don't find it a necessity to upgrade to the 4s, but if I can earn $90 in the process, I guess it makes a bit of sense. My only concern: do you think that upgrading on her line will push the date too far back for subsidized pricing of the iPhone 5(which I really want(ed) and she will probably want)? Just looking for some second opinions on if it is worth it or not.
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I am in the same boat as you. I want the 4S, but if I buy it I know I will regret it when the iPhone 5 comes around. The iPhone 5 is most likely to be redesigned and have 4G, which I would like. The other problem is that I currently have a dumbphone, and I want a smartphone (so its not like I currently have a smartphone to keep me happy until the iP5). I thought about buying an iPhone 4 without a contract, but it is still too expensive (even refurbished). Now that I have talked about my problem, ill see if I can help you. IMO, you should keep your iPhone 4 if you really want (and ur wife) the iP5. Other than the hardware, the iP4 and 4S are the same. Yes, you won't have Viri, but I would imagine that you will eventually be able to get it via jailbreak.

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Upgrade to the iphone 4S, sell the iphone 4S for about $400-$500, get yourself an ipad 2 or put it towards a new macbook, keep the original iphone 4.