To upgrade or not to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bow-one, May 21, 2015.

  1. bow-one macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2015
    #1
    With the MacBook Pro Retina 15" just receiving a minor spec bump, I am tempted but hesitant since it is still using the Haswell chip and that Skylake is reportedly bringing some major improvements and a redesign. I am currently using the base MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2010, which has been upgraded to 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. I have just completed my first year in Engineering, potentially majoring in Systems Engineering next year. I am currently doing some web development and design, learning Android app development, refreshing myself in Java and C, and picking up some new languages such as PHP and Phyton. Although I am doing a Solidworks/CAD project right now, I just can't do it on my current MacBook as Windows is installed on second hard drive in the optical bay position, which is just too slow to run anything smoothly. I am also worried the integrated graphics can't handle it. If you are in my position, would you upgrade to the 15" now or lug the current Mac, use the school's computer and wait it out?
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    6-8 months of a better computer with much better workflow (screen size for you will make all the difference) will be worth it over waiting for something that will be not much better than the current offering. Ok you could get better wireless options, TB3, and DDR4 but that'll be about it and with the new dGPU being released in this product a skylake version may keep the same dGPU.

    There are no reports of redesign, it is of course a possibility, we are reaching that time but it may well not happen until canonlake.....

    If it was me I'd go for it, it'll last you 4-5 years and the rest of this year will be pleasure for you rather than a chore.
     
  3. ayzee macrumors 6502a

    ayzee

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #3
    Just upgrade now. Performance wise, the 2015 15" Rmbp will last for years
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Sounds like you have an immediate need. I'd opt to buy now in your case. True Apple may very well embrace Skylake this fall but there's no guarantees. If you can wait that's always wise but at some point you need to bite the bullet and from the sounds of it - you're at that point.
     
  5. Samtb macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    #5
    Could we see a redesign of form factor this fall too?
     
  6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #6
    Unlikely a redesign this time more likely for canon lake, I think that skylake in the rMBP is unlikely before march/april 2016 as well.
    The autumn skylake chips are currently only predicted to be the desktop versions no sign of a mobile roadmap yet.

    We might get iMacs though.
     

Share This Page