To upgrade or not to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcorleone, Aug 1, 2016.

1. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

My (almost) eight year old 'late 2008' MBP has all but gone kablooey. I tried to update the OS but it got stuck somewhere in the middle as I wanted to transfer my info to my new iPad Pro (which I managed to do successfully; forgot how I did it but it was a long process). The guy at Apple told me the hard drive is shot and they won't do repairs on 'vintage' products. At present I can't get it out of update mode and stupid me didn't make a backup so I'm screwed as far as that goes if I were to wipe out or just replace the hard drive. It's definitely showing its age performance wise. Other than that it has lasted much longer than any Windows based PC that I've owned in the past...

So is it worth it to upgrade or should I just take it to some independent repair facility to salvage it? I also don't want to pay full price since the MBP is overdue for an update.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your computing needs are not great, you could pop a cheap SSD in that thing and still have a nice MacBook for casual use IMO. That's what I would do.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Since you say your current machine is showing it's age, you might consider an upgrade to a 2011/2012 model. They are relatively cheap have i5/i7 processors and are user upgradable.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

A hard drive's pretty cheap, and it'd take me all of 15 minutes to swap one in one of those older machines.

If you know how to operate a screwdriver without stabbing yourself, it's a very easy DIY job, no point in paying for it.