To upgrade or not to upgrade??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Oct 30, 2016.

  1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    The new non-touchbar 13" version is $1899 as-is in Canada. Upgrade to 16GB ram and 512GB SSD and it's $2379. Both prices do not include tax which is 13% in Ontario.

    They also still offer a "classic" version with all the sensible I/O which is $1549 as-is and $2269 with 16GB and 512GB SSD.

    I have a 2014 13" now with 8GB and 512GB SSD. Would it make sense to upgrade? Even grab a refurb 2015?

    The 15" "classic" is $2449 with only a 256GB SSD. So sad. I'd love a 15" again otherwise I'm paying high cost for an external monitor with comparable "retina" (or 4K) resolution and my rMBP can't run it at 60Hz.
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    Unless your current Mac can't do something you need to do, you don't need to upgrade.
     
  3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    True. It does everything I need it to do. Guess I'm just wanting a more maxed out system for longevity. Plus if I wanted to get a 4K display or TV my Mac can't run that properly which sucks. I think I can only get 30Hz instead of 60Hz refresh. I'm trying to find an external monitor but really anything less than "retina" won't look so crisp and clear now that I'm used to a retina screen.
     
  4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    I'd keep your current system for a few more years and then pick up a second or third gen rMBP w/ touchbar. I'm guessing the prices will drop a little between now and then.
     
  5. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

    philosopherdog

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    #5
    I had a 2012 15 '' pro. Decent machine still bit I went for a new one because the 2012 doesn't run 4K at 60. Anyhow it was a 4 year old box. I could have stretched it another year but I decided to just go for it. The update looks solid. Definitely pricey for a maxed out 15''.
     
  6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Well this is Apple so I'm not holding my breath on the price drop. They price gouge on upgrading ram and SSD so a sensible price drop is not likely.
     
  7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #7
    The original rMBP was introduced at a slightly higher than expected price, but after about a year and a half, prices dropped about $200 across the board.

    And yeah, SSD, RAM and CPU upgrade prices are higher than they should be, but they're much more reasonable than they were 8-10 years ago.
     
  8. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Maybe so. But 3rd party ram and SSD costs much less than proprietary Apple version. Apple just handicaps people to upgrade at the time of purchase by making it not user upgradeable. Their obsession with "thin and light" is astounding.
     
  9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #9
    I'll just point out that the equivalent SSD to what Apple is using in their rMBPs costs $629 for 1TB.

    Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW)
     
  10. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    My point is that not everyone has enough money to upgrade (or max out) at the time of purchase. I know I don't. Buying a Mac is a huge investment for someone like me working a near minimum wage job.
     
  11. jerryk macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #11
    If budget is a concern, wait a few years until the 2016 units are not new and the tech in them becomes more mainstream (ie. USB-C/TB-3 is the industry standard connection). Alternative 2 is get a higher paying job so the cost becomes less of an issue.
     
  12. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Well option 2 seems like an impossibility. If it was so easy to get a better paying job I would have had one years ago. Maybe if Apple actually upgrades the Mac Mini I'll get one of those and an iPad for any portable usage. As for option 1? We'll see. I kinda wish I had the 15" rMBP with the dGPU. That I think would also give me better longevity. Plus a bigger screen for desktop use.
     

Share This Page