TO upgrade or not to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HaydukeLives, Jun 20, 2010.

1. HaydukeLives macrumors newbie

a week ago, I got the go ahead from work to split the cost of a MBP as I needed a machine for work ASAP. I walked into the apple store in town and found that the high res screen which I lusted after was only available on the highest end machine, and that they were out of stock at the moment, and that I couldn't get the high res on an i5 machine unless I ordered online. Seeing as I needed something for work the next day, I picked up a standard 15" guy and went about my day. The other day I found that the store had the ag high res mbp in stock, and they said they wouldn't charge me a restocking fee if I exchanged my computer. Now I really don't think i need the i7 proc, but I do want the screen, the question is, would I be better off saving the 350 and putting it towards an external monitor and maybe an ssd down the road? or should I just go ahead and upgrade the notebook as I'll probably have it for years, it'll play games better, and more real-estate for working with images and the like.

thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This is completely up to you. Only you can rate the worth of the higher res. It's also anti-glare (which is IMO uglier) so if the glossy doesn't annoy you or you find it even better, then it may not be worth it. Also, it won't play games any better, maybe even worse because the resolution just makes it more demanding

3. nathansoz macrumors newbie

IMO the higher resolution was way worth it. I do photography, video editing, and light gaming. Seeing the two side by side left no contest in my mind, and the high rez won out by a mile.

4. Reapur macrumors regular

Take into account that the i7 comes with double the dedicated video memory not just a CPU upgrade. The CPU, GPU, Display Resolution are all worthwhile and not upgradeable down the road, so you're stuck with it. RAM and HDD are the only things you can change.

With the HR display you most likely wont need an external monitor because the resolution is great for editing in photoshop/lightroom. And you get that resolution wherever you take the machine with you. Try taking an external display with you.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would upgrade. I think you should get what you've longed for if money isn't an issue :]