To upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A.Jai, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. A.Jai macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #1
    I have a 17" Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz, 2gb RAM, 160gb HD that is turning 2 this week :) I have been debating upgrading to the new MBP 15.4" 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive. I need to be able to sell my current MBP for a decent price and it is at about $1400 on ebay right now. Amazon is selling the new system for $250 off right now I am wondering if now is the best time to buy :confused:

    I currently have a glossy screen so the glossy screen on the new MBP isn't an issue for me, but the downgrade in resolution is as I am a graphic designer. Is the difference between the two resolutions super noticeable?

    My biggest issue in making this decision is making sure I get a good amount of money for my old computer and a killer upgrade in the process. I am afraid if I wait until mid-2009 my 17' will drop significantly in value.

    any helpful advice?

    THANKS!
     
  2. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #2
    Well you're trying to sell in a time where the biggest sales of the year occur, so it's bound to be tougher for you to sell. Weren't there people getting BNIB 2.6 previous gen 15" MBP for like $1500?

    Do you have apple care on the machine? It's a huge plus, if not, a huge con. Especially since it's past the 1yr mark and they can't purchase it themselves if they so wish to do so.

    Resolution wise, it is somewhat significant. A friend of mine has the normal 17" and he has, what seems like, a lot more screen real estate than my 15".

    The biggest reason to try and sell your MBP quickly is because of the odds of a new 17" mbp. As you might know, only the MBs and 15"MBP got a redesign. It's only logical to assume that in the next update the 17" will get a redesign, making your laptop looking even older and therefore get you less cash.

    I haven't read about any rumors of the release date but the longer you wait, the less of a selling window you have.

    It's really kind of luck based. Depends on who's looking, the state of your laptop, their knowledge of Apple machines and the alignment of the planets.

    Cheers
     
  3. A.Jai thread starter macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #3
    some more info...

    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should've given more info. I have 2 years left on Applecare with my current system and it is cosmetically in perfect condition. Plus I have had a new battery and new RAM put in in the last 3 months. :)

     
  4. Ampidire macrumors 6502

    Ampidire

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    #4
    If your machine is turning 2, like you said, you'd only have a year left on AppleCare?

    Either way, the 17" MBP update to the Unibody is imminent, and probably the *right* upgrade for you when it comes, but it would be stupid to sell your laptop now and be without it for an unknown amount of time; regardless of whatever amount of money you could make differently with selling this one.
     
  5. A.Jai thread starter macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #5
    really? I thought Applecare extended your warranty for an addition 3 years? Does it only extend it two year after your initial first year?

    While I love the real estate of the 17" screen it is a bit of a monster to lug around so I am not totally down on the idea of the 15.4"

    crap! I hate making big decision :eek:

    Thanks for your help everyone! Any more thoughts are much appreciated!!

     
  6. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #6
    Yeah, my assumption was that you'd do as you said and go for the new 15".

    If that's the plan, sell asap. If you're going with 17" and can't go with the laptop/don't have a backup then hold onto it and take the hit.

    And yeah, you only have 1yr left of warranty.
     
  7. A.Jai thread starter macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #7
    Man, I am glad you told me that! I thought I had two years. Now I know I HAVE to sell in 2009!

     
  8. naid macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    #8
    Applecare extends your warranty to 3 years total, so you only have a year left. In any case, now would be a good time to sell that 17" despite the deals out there on new laptops. The fact that there isn't a 17" unibody available will help seal the deal. IMO, sell now, then decide if you want the current 15" unibody or are you willing to wait for a 17".
     
  9. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    After my last 17", I don't think I'll get a 17" again.
     
  10. A.Jai thread starter macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #10
    Really? Why do you say that?

     
  11. six.four macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #11
    The pixel density on the 17" @ 1920x1200 is significantly higher than 15.4" @ 1440x900.

    Also, the glossy on the unibody MBP is not like the gloss on the previous gen ("classic") MBP. It is significantly more glossy IMO.

    I don't keep up with rumors of upcoming releases, but if they release a refreshed 17" MBP at macworld 2009, then you can expect the value to drop. Otherwise, I think you're alright.
     
  12. A.Jai thread starter macrumors member

    A.Jai

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #12
    the new 17" are 1920x1200....damn. My 17" is only 1680x1050.

     

Share This Page