To upgrade or to wait for an Air 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 13, 2016.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

So, I've been using my iPad Mini 2 for a long time (had an iPad 3 before it), and have decided: I prefer the larger screen size. (My wife has an iPad Pro.)

I ended up with someone wanting to buy my Mini 2 off me, and jumped for it. I honestly...underestimated how much I actually use my iPad. I use it at least twice a week in meetings and now I find myself naked without it.

I want to take the cash from that sale and just go buy an iPad Air 2 right now, but...the Air 2 has been around a long time.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that the newly released iPad Pro will make Apple hesitate to update the Air so not to make it look outdated.

I can probably wait til March, but I don't want to wait until late summer. Should I grab an iPad Air 2 or hold off?

2. beernut macrumors 6502

Air2 now; sell it and get Air3 whenever it comes out.

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Well the Air3 won't be coming out in March so you do the math.

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

5. FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No it won't. They changed the iPads from March to the fall. They are not going back. New hardware is released with new software, or shortly after new software becomes available. Same reason why I don't think we will see Apple Watch 2 until the Fall, after WatchOS 3.0 comes out.

OP - Buy now. No point in waiting 9 months if its something you will use now.

7. BallparkDreamer macrumors regular

I was in a similar position and decided to grab the Air 2. I love it.

8. FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

No you don't know.

Only apple knows for sure and there are rumors it might come in march.

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You think Apple is going to go two years without an iPad Air update? I'm skeptical of that.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I honestly do. The iPad Air 2 still is a performance beast. There is absolutely no reason to upgrade it at the moment. Especially if the rumors are true about no 3D touch because of production issues. The only upgrade would be processor and Touch ID. Very minimal and probably not worthwhile until 3D touch can be implemented.

11. bniu macrumors 6502a

i could see iPad Air 3 being an A9 processor (no X), and clocked a bit faster than the iPhone variant. Thus, a minor speed bump over the iPad Air 2, 16 and 64GB capacities dropped in favor of 32GB, smart connector, apple pencil support, an air sized smart keyboard, and perhaps LTE restricted to the 128GB variant. Keep the 16GB Air 2 variant around. At the same time, spec bump iPad mini to A9 with smart connector, apple pencil support too, merge 16 and 64GB to 32GB, have cellular be 128GB only, keep 16GB mini 4 around. Drop iPhone 6 and 6+, drop 5S, add 6C with 16 and 64GB with A9 chip and 4" screen.

While they're at it, bump iPod touch to A9, keep just 32 and 128, add touch ID. Thus, Apple for the first time could have a lineup that across the board has TouchID, at least 2GB of ram, smart connector and pencil support in the newest iPad lines and move forward with a very nice lineup :D

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Maybe a refurbished one will work for you? The air 2 is a strong performer, no doubt. I suggest trying one out though if possible in person. Turn the volume up a little bit while playing music or a game and see if the chassis and screen vibrations are an issue for you. It bothers some of us. That's why I'm staying with my Air for now. Just saying.

Good luck.

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As others have said, we really don't know what Apple is going to do.

It is possible that Apple could announce an Air 3 in March. The inclusion of 3D Touch seems improbable. There's a possibility (perhaps wishful thinking on my part) that it will support the Apple Pencil. There is already support for it in iOS so a hypothetical Air 3 wouldn't need to wait for a bump in iOS in order to take advantage of it.

In the build up to the announcement of the iPad Pro, I had held off upgrading from my iPad 2 and 4 until I saw what they announced. When the iPP was revealed, I saw that it wasn't my time to buy it, so I kept an eye out for sales on the Air 2. When Staples ran their $150 off sale, I jumped on it.

That's what I'd recommend to you. If the possibility of 3D Touch and/or Pencil are important to you, wait to see if Apple does anything in March. If not, then keep a keen eye on weekly sales on the Air 2 and jump on the first sale that appeals to you.

14. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Apple will keep the base at 16gb on the Air and Mini for another year, and you won't see the pencil support on the Air until 2017 at the earliest.