To USB or not to USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solos72, Jul 25, 2011.

1. solos72 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

This weekend I will be taking the dive to do a fresh install of Lion. Thanks to you all who have given me great advice so far.

I have been wondering. To create my bootable Lion. Should I use a USB Memory Stick or can I use the SD Slot on my MBP mid2010?

Is it even possible to make a bootable SD card to boot from that slot?

Also is there much difference is speed when reading from the USB or the SD slot.

Thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can do either one, and you'll follow the same instructions for both (the disk utility method). Depending on what class your SD card is, that might be the faster route (class 8-10+). Either way you choose it shouldn't take that long.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

i just did a fresh Lion install this weekend using a micro sd card mounted in an sd adapter on my 2010 macbook pro.

4. solos72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys

As always you folks are helpful.
    Thanks for you reply.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would make a USB just because I would probably be less likely to lose it and would be able to find it when I need to. Its not going to make a huge difference either way though.

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

Boot or not to boot

Would anyone recommend boating from an external hard drive ?

Can other stuff be on there to , or not ? e.g.. I have a external bootable formatted drive, (as thats how i always set it up), with all my data on there, can I just plunge the image on the drive and the mac will find and boot from the image? or does it need to be on a bare bone drive.. (no other data, but the image) ?

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What if you need to move somewhere? Unless you want to take your external everywhere you go, I don't think it is the best idea.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

Granted... USB it is then.. I answered my question anyway.