To use a MBP with an external monitor/keyboard & Mouse....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hatchet, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

After weighing all my options, the Macbook Pro seems to be the best option for me. Yet, I am in an unknown territory with macs and their setups and there was no Apple person at Best Buy when I was looking at it today. So...

My Question is:

If I wanted to hook up an external monitor and keyboard and mouse to the MBP (15") to use in my office sort of like a desktop, How many cables/hookups are required?

-----
    Being a PC user, I know I need a hook up for the monitor (1), a hookup for the mouse (2), and a hookup for the keyboard (3). However, it seems that the MBP only has 2 USB slots so I wouldn't be able to hook up a printer.

Am I missing something?

Also, can the MBP be closed when using it docked?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mouse plugs into keyboard, keyboard plugs into Mac. Display plugs into Mac and power supply too.

Connect these devices, close MBP which then sleeps, hit any key on keyboard and MBP wakes up and uses external display. Simple and what I'm typing on now. :)

3. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ha! That is what I was missing! I wonder why they don't use that for PC's?

Ok, so after you hit any key on the keyboard, do you have to adjust the resolution settings or does it automatically detect them?

Say, I have a 24" monitor.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because that would be too simple. ;)

It automatically detects it and what's more, it will set a different desktop pattern for that display from the laptop display if you choose one for it, and it will remember it as well if you ever take the MBP on a trip and reconnect it later.

5. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that is great. I don't know what took me so long to switch over...