To use Time Capsule or not....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Killerbob, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have recently moved and my new ISP provides a VDSL modem (Pace V5500). I have a Time Capsule which I use for WiFi and router.

The question is; do I use the Pace for DHCP and NAT, or do I use the Time Capsule? The ISP has disabled the WiFi capabilities of the Pace, so I have to use the Time Capsule as Bridge at a minimum.

I currently have it set up so the Pace is connected from its LAN port to the WAN port on the TC. The TC is set up to provide DHCP and NAT, and it all works. I have internet, and my computers etc. all receive IPs from the TC. However, of course the TC is complaining about the "Double NAT", and I am having some challenges with ReadyNAS Remote which I think can be attributed to the Double NAT situation...

So what to do? I have tried to disable DHCP and NAT on the Pace, but then everything goes to s...; I loose internet, and I eventually have to reset the Pace to get it back to normal. I would like to keep using the TC, if for nothing else then because I like to be in control of what happens on my network, and I want to maintain the IP ranges I have defined on the TC.

Anyone?

/Bo

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

If you can put the Pace into a dumb bridge mode, the TC will make a better router and it will fix your double NAT issue.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to either get the Pace device into bridge mode, or just leave the Pace as is and run the TC in bridge mode.

Some ISPs will tell you how to get their router into bridge mode... might be worth giving them a call. I search Google for help getting a Pace V5500 in bridge mode, but got nothing.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

What will be better when using the TC as the Router, and not the ISP provided Pace?

I am worried that if I insist to the ISP to put the Pace into Bridge mode, then they will not support me if anything is wrong.

5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Historically ISP devices are cheap and not robust.

6. JoeBlow74, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Here is what I would do.
    1. keep your Pace as the primary router and keep DHCP and NAT enabled. Your Pace router "network" IP should be 192.168.0.1.
    2. power up your TC and wait a few seconds.
    hook up your computer directly to your Time Capsule with a network cable into any of the ports and log into it. Should be "Network IP" 192.168.0.1
    3. Disable DHCP in Time Capsule. This will make Time TC act as a switch with wireless enabled.
    4. Change Time Capsule "network" IP adress to "192.168.0.2" with your default gateway "192.168.0.1" into the TC and hit save.
    5. Remove network cable from computer and plug into Pace router into any of the unused ports.

Your network shoule look like this.
    Pace IP 192.168.0.1 = router
    TC IP 192.168.0.2 = Switch with wireless

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

There's nothing wrong with having a Double NAT situation. Nothing behind the TC is even aware of it, so its unlikely to be affecting your ReadyNAS.

If you want to get rid of the Duble NAT for no particular reason. One option, set the Pace in transparent mode, that will leave the TC to perform boundary services. Giving you control of such functions through the TC.

Or two, set the TC in bridge, the Pace will do boundary services and the TC can provide WiFi, network stoarge, etc.

8. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all replies.

I pretty much ended up following a number of advices.

I set up the Pace to distribute DHCP and NAT, using an IP range of 10.0.1.2-10.0.1.200, reserving a number of these to my TCs, my AEBS, and my ReadyNASes. I setup the two TCs as "Bridges", with the primary of them broadcasting my WiFi, and my AEBS as a WiFi bridge to the livingroom multimediacentre.

I think I got it all working, with no Double NAT, and only one DHCP/NAT router running. And, I pretty much am in total control of the Pace.

Thanks for all feedback.