To VERY Knowledgable Mac Users (hardware?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Architect4122, May 29, 2008.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I am an architecture student that uses (and loves) his mac.

For full functionality and performance I run Windows XP under Boot Camp. When I st up Boot Camp I partitioned my XP portion NTFS (Window's native format) in hopes of eliminating any problems.

Well, AutoCAD (windows only App) keeps error'ing out. It says I have reactivated it too many times and I need to re-activate my copy of AutoCAD.

I called Autodesk support and explained the situation. First question he asked was am I running it on a Mac.

I'm not going to try and guess his technical background as a computer person, but I myself know a thing or two about comps.

He said its the Mac that is messing up the program and how Macs deal with their HDDs.

Well, I don't believe that. I could be completely wrong. The only time I know any information regarding something that could mess up anything is if you use Parallels or VMFusion as those apps actually pull the registration info from one location and move it...this prevents your windows app, or windows in general from thinking it has been installed on two machines from one disc.

But to run an app in native XP, under bootcamp...and partitions don't just share info...how could my registration keep expiring?

When running under OSX, can it access/mess with my XP partition? (which doesn't make sense seeing as the ONLY thing it affects is one program).

Granted, the only thing I know is everyone else with a Mac that bots into XP under boot camp and uses AutoCAD has the same problem...so there is a common thread...but how can it be hardware related?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Here is a thread you should look at. Same issues and some resolutions.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=452820

When you say run under MacOS, are you using Parallels or Fusion to access your bootcamp XP partition? This may have caused the problem. Again read the entire thread above.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

If you are running Windows in BootCamp, then it is running natively. Macintosh HDD should not have anything to do with it, since its an entirely different partition.

I think something else is wrong with your AutoCAD registration.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

OSX has no native support for NTFS so no OSX is not the issue.

If anything then Autocad is incompatible with SATA interfaces if its a mac issue (then again that excuse does not really work)