To wait for the new iMac or get the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZaneGott, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ZaneGott macrumors newbie

What I'm actually wondering is that,

1. What updates might happen to the new refresh of the iMac for 2009?
    2. When would it be released?
    3. Should I get an iMac or a MacBook Pro (I could get the best of either product)?
    4. Which would be better at playing WoW with(With decent FPS)?
    5. I'm also going to college to learn about Audio Engineering.. So which would work better for starting a home recording studio?
    6. Which is guaranteed for best performance?
    7. Which would have better performance with ProTools?

(Also posted on the main apple forums)

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Performance - whether it's WoW, Audio Engineering, or anything else - is going to be very comparable between an iMac and MacBook Pro.

What you really need to ask is, do you need the portability of the MBP or the screen size and HD size of the iMac?

3. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Do you travel a lot? They are almost equally good for your needs but if you're on the way, you definitly want to go for MBP..

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Wait as long as possible then, your assured the latest and greatest. :confused:

5. ZaneGott thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's probably one of the hardest questions since Portability would be really helpful (For school and recording friends at their home and what not..) but the Screen and HardDrive size of the iMac is what I'm also going to be needing. Since it's out of the question to get myself an MBP with a Cinema Display.. I might choose a MacBook Pro with 2 Portable Drives.

Now the new question would have to be, MacBook Pro 15" or 17"?

The screen would be nice, but the performance might be troubling in the 17"..

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If you have to get a MBP then get 15 inch, upgrade the hard drive and buy an external monitor. Problem solved.

You could get a Macbook if you want to save some money.

ChrisN