To wait or no too wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dman51, Dec 6, 2011.

  1. Dman51 macrumors newbie

    Nov 23, 2007
    I currently have a Macbook Pro prob late 2008 model with the one piece bottom cover. It's got the 2.53 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB ram but the HD is only 250gb. It's been great and is in perfect condition but I need more HD space. I don't want to mess with getting a new HD b.c theres no simple way about dealing with that. I've been waiting since last year for a new MBP and it's just been incremental updates and I have under 10gb of space left and I already deleted what I don't need. So here my options: Any thoughts on how to clear up some dead space? Get a new MBP cheapest then upgrade 8gb ram and 750gb HD? Or wait for new MBP but how much longer!!!!
  2. Ant.honey macrumors regular

    Oct 14, 2008
    New York City
    There should be a ban on Buy Now or Wait threads.
  3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Aug 1, 2011

    You'd think buying a computer would be a very personal thing. Only you knows how soon you need it, and how bad you want it.

    It seems most of these people have already made up their mind, but just need other people to validate their decision.
  4. Dman51 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for the all help fellas appreciate it. It is a personal thing but figured I'd like to see what others think. Clearly knowing based on the title you could have avoided it but you felt compelled to give your opinion and I appriciate the time it took for you to do so.
  5. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Mar 5, 2011
    Buy an external HD and wait for the next gen MBP ?
  6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Aug 1, 2011
    No way, that makes too much sense to be an option.
  7. Subish macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2011
    Personally I never wait just because if the item NOW fits my needs/wants then I get it. Plus not everything new is better. :cool:

    Then again your problem is a easy fix you just don't want to deal with it. You already have in you head that buying a new one is the answer. Almost like I need a oil change in my car, so I'll buy a new one.

    You have the itch so go scratch it!
  8. Dman51 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 23, 2007
    Akack thanks for the suggestion actually one I happened to forget about.

    adamantoise look into comedy man, if thats such a simple thing instead of complaining you could have suggested it yourself


    Ha thanks I'd like to think that way but if a new MBP came out I'd have a new itch to scratch :)
  9. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    If all you need is drive space, just get a drive. The last two generations of Core i processors have grown by leaps and bounds over the Core 2 chips, much more than incremental updates. But for most tasks, the CPU hasn't really been the bottleneck for many years now.

    New processors are scheduled for a late April to May release, so it'll be at least six months from now before new MBPs. I plan to wait it out with a C2D, myself.
  10. 9Benua macrumors member

    Aug 20, 2011
    No simple way. Are u retarded? Swapping HD in MB or MBP is so much easier compare to other laptop. Get CCC to clone ur drive to a new one and swap it. The first thing I do when I get my macbook is to swap the hd because I want 7200 rpm hard drive inside. I'm still happy with my late 07 MB with 4gb ram and 500gb 7200rpm drive. Apple also recently replaced my top case display, jewel and battery. It looks like new again :D.
    My gf recently bought 13 inch MBP and I upgraded the memory to 8gb RAM. If it's not for the HD shortage, I would've swap the hard drive too when I opened it up. It didn't even take 20 mins to do it. No simple way, you're just being lazy.
  11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    Buy an external HD and wait. It will be about 6 months for the new models. Since it's only HD space that is bothering you, the external HD will help.

    Once you get the new machine, you can use the external HD for backups. Therefore I would recommend going for a big external HD (750 GB or more).
  12. Dman51 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for the helpful replies leaning toward an external HD. 9Buena whats CCC?
  13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603


    Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    CCC = Carbon Copy Cloner

    its used to make an exact duplicate including the OSX on to the hard drive

    by having an exact duplicate you could boot off the external if the interal every dies
  14. Queen6 macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2008
    Putting out the fire with gasoline...
    The present MacBook Pro is a fantastic machine, and extremely well developed; fast, solid, dependable. I have no doubt the next major revision will build on what Apple has already achieved, this being said I prefer to replace my Pro towards the end of the cycle knowing all the niggles are worked out.

    The new MBP will be an equally large jump, that we saw when Apple moved from the MBP "classic" to the Unibody. I would buy now, you can always reassess in a couple of years. I was in exactly the same position having an "Early 2008" 2.4Ghz (4.1) MBP, my Air outperforms it and had a larger SSD, time to call time, my new "late 2011" 2.4 i7 (8.2) is a dream to use and has all the power & storage I need for a portable for the present.

    The new Pro will bring many positives equally it may bring some negatives, none of use will know until Apple want`s us to :p

Share This Page