To wait, or not to wait... [Another "Should I Wait?" Thread]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride., Oct 9, 2010.

  1. Ride. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2010
    #1
    So, I've seen this question a couple times before, but decided to ask personally haha.

    I've been promised a Mac for Christmas. But, with all the talk on SB, it has also been said that there will be a possible refresh. There's also the MacRumors article that says the MBP line is getting towards the end of its cycle.

    I guess my question is should I wait it out for a bit after Christmas? And as an estimate, when would be a plausible date for Apple to announce a new line?

    I could probably wait it out to about March-ish, since it's all about the Opportunity Cost ;p

    Thanks everyone!
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    i wouldn't be picky if you are getting a free computer personally. That said, The current mbp's are nice and more than capable
     
  3. lbro macrumors 6502a

    lbro

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #3
    If you can wait, than wait. If you really need it, then buy it now.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    What is it going to be used for? If you don't do anything that requires more power and speed than the current lineup can offer, then it's kinda pointless to wait IMO.
     
  5. djlutzker macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    #5
    Like all the answers here. If you need it now, just get it now. If you can wait, then wait. Simple! When you get the new macbook pro, then more new will come, its a never ending cycle. :p
     
  6. Ride. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2010
    #6
    For school, it will mostly be used for making presentations, word processing, browsing, etc etc.

    Outside of school, I will probably be doing some photo editting with CS5, making music with Garage Band, and making presentations with iMovie/Final Cut/Powerpoint, and not to mention recreational use ;o
     
  7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #7
    Holy crap. I can't believe you asked this, after seeing all the other threads where we emphatically state that we don't work for Apple and don't know when the upgrade will drop or what it'll contain.

    You sir are awesome.
     
  8. Ride. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2010
    #8
    Thank you, kind sir. =/
     
  9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #9
    sarcasm on
    Oh in that case you should wait. The current mbp's are unable to handle the software requirements of office and firefox as they have recently been released with gpu requirements that exceed the current cards ability
    sarcasm off
     
  10. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #10
    And what MBP are you looking at the moment? You might benefit from more speed but current 15" should be just fine.
     
  11. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    #11
    Buy it now, then. Whatever updates they do will only be slightly better than the current range, and for browsing 4chan and writing your twilight fanfics I don't see how a CPU bump will benefit you other than possibly changing your font to comic sans 0.1 seconds faster.

    And yeah, no matter when you buy a mac, it's going to be outdated within a year.
     
  12. Salacion macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    #12
    Look at what could be updated...

    <Graphics Card>
    Unless they switch to ATI, you'll see only minor boosts in graphic power.

    <Processor>
    Quad core has been talked about. I don't think it's anything to wait over, unless you need the horsepower.

    <RAM>
    8GB RAM to be included? I give it 2 years.

    <HD Screen>
    Just add it; it already exists.

    <Storage>
    I would be one to wait for a 1TB MBP. As of now I'm using 420GB out of my 500GB hard drive. I have thousands of songs & pictures, hundreds of TV episodes and tens of movies. I also have Aperture 3, Final Cut Studio and iWork. My wait for the inclusion of 1TB would be only for storage assurance. I doubt you'll need as much space as I occupy. EDIT: Or you might...

    <Battery Life>
    Update could bring 10 hours! But what's one hour, really?

    <Design>
    It's as perfect as I've ever seen a laptop. Next reiteration I'd imagine would be touchscreen-centric. I give it a minimum of 2 years.

    <Software>
    iLife 11 should be coming up soon. I would wait to see if it comes out this year, or early 2011. As for Mac OS X, I really don't foresee a new version coming until next year or 2012. I do however think the next version will be a major revamp, perhaps bringing touch screen capabilities. But that's more than a year away. Plus they always have to work out the kinks.

    With that said, I wouldn't wait. If iLife comes out right after, I'm pretty sure you'll be eligible for a discount. Any updates that might occur would be too minor to warrant several months of holding back.
     
  13. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #13
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605 600030600&IsNodeId=1&name=1TB

    1TB 2.5" drives have existed for a good while already. There is no reason to wait for Apple to use them as Apple would make you sick with their price tag and doing the upgrade yourself is easy.
     
  14. Ride. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2010
    #14
    Yea, I was looking at the 15" 2.4 GHz.

    I also do understand that it will be outdated with a year or so of purchase, but being this close to a refresh makes it an important factor. to say the least.
     
  15. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    #15
    This.
     
  16. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #16

    Wait for USB 3.0
    --
     
  17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #17
    well you said you are getting it free for christmas, so uhmm dose it matter if they make a new line or not?
     
  18. citizenal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #18
    Why don't you just compromise. Wait for a fall refresh it it ever comes, if not get the computer, it's going to be sometime spring next year before they implement sb, if they even implement it. I luckily bought a computer 43 days before they refreshed and apple was kind enough to let me exchange. You know what I did? I went from a 2.something c2d 13 inch to a 15 i7. I know, I got lucky, I played the waiting game and won.
     
  19. armoredsaint macrumors regular

    armoredsaint

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    Location:
    USA

Share This Page