Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
I know that this forum often sees posts similar to this, in which anxious Mac aficionados debate the merits of waiting for the next refresh to upgrade. I never thought it would come to this, but I am now adding my voice to the choir. A few of the law schools to which I have been accepted allow their students to use Macintoshes. All of the law schools require students to bring a laptop. I am fairly decided that if I choose a school that requires a PC I will wait until Q1 '07 for Vista's release; however, I am not quite certain how I feel about the Macintosh side of things.

If you read Intel's roadmap, Merom should be out by the end of the year, which will bring a substantial performance boost to mobile computers. H1 '07 brings the rest of Intel's new mobile platform, including a new chipset and new 802.11n integrated wireless network controller. In addition to the performance boost seen in Merom-based products, these new mobile processors will also add virtualization technology as well as 64-bit extensions, both of which could potentially be supported by 10.5. I'm also personally expecting 10.5 (along with Windows Vista) to usher in a new era of resolution-independent GUI's, which will finally allow Apple to increase the resolution of the LCDs they use in MBPs without making them entirely unreadable. This will be good all around, allowing for sharper OS graphics, support for 1080p, etc.

So finally, my question. I must buy a laptop of some sort regardless of where I go or what turns the industry takes. My question is this. Do I buy the cheapest Dell Inspiron ($399 if you catch it at the right time), suffer for a year, and then get the most amazing machine the world has ever seen? Or is Intel full of hype and will Macbooks a year from now not be different enough to justify my pain?

Of course I understand the computer industry is the fastest moving industry on earth, and there will always be greener pastures just over the next hill. It seems, however, that the changes that take place over the next 12 months could be far larger and have far greater implications than usual. Of course that could just be because it is my money on the line this time. :)

Animal Farm

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
Hey hey, fellow MacRumors newbie :) Just registered myself; in fact, to reply to this post!

It seems we're in the same boat. I, too, face a laptop buying decision in the coming months, and the waiting dilemma has me in a bind.

I think, though, I'm starting to reach a conclusion. Merom guarantees higher performance per watt. In my opinion, that'll amount to very little actually processing power boosts and really only an significant buff to the battery power. Then again, I may be off the mark with this.

Still, let's not forget that if we wait till the end of this year, we may very well be well into 2007 before we receive our laptops. When chips come out doesn't equate to when Apple releases, nay, SHIPS their laptops.

I wouldn't doubt 3-4 week wait times, then a "1.5 revision" where we're offered a bump up in chip speed, then a few more weeks before we even start seeing these things trickle out. And then again, we're back to the Rev. A bugs (which are being sorted out with this line as we speak).

If you're worried about having that extra "oomph" in your computer, I might just shell out the cash for a 2.16GHz model. That's what I think I'm going to do.

Just my .02!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If you have been following the travails of Vista, then you should know that the project is in serious trouble. There are rumors--since denied--that Vista will have to be rewritten. The undenied facts lend credibility to the rumors. The Windows group has been reorganized. The new group leader says that he will change the culture of the group. These are not signs of a successful project.

If you want a Windows laptop, then buy the best Windows laptop that you can afford. For the most part, Vista had been reduced to fresh lipstick on the XP pig. If you want a MacBook Pro, then buy a MacBook Pro. One thing that you can count on is that there will always be a newer, better, computer to come sometime in the future. This is true now. This is true a year from now. You can't buy or use the computer of the future. You can only use what is available now. Between now and the future, you will get months, if not years, of quality service from our computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.