To Wait Or NOt To Wait THat........?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caleb8673, May 2, 2007.

1. caleb8673 macrumors newbie

I am going to make the change and switch to a iMac. In doing research I am figuring on a refurbished 20 inch from the apple site. I am wondering if an when apple releases their new iMac do they blow out their other versions letting me get a new old model instead of a refurb ? Also do will they add new software to the older iMac when they release it ( like i life 07 etc., not that worried about Leopard ). Trying to keep costs down but my new experience with Mac the best bang for my buck. It seems waiting for June is the message I see most but is that just for a new iMac or should I wait also?

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What are you saying? When a new iMac comes out, will they give you a new one? Nope, sorry.

If you get a Mac with iLife '06, there is no free update to iLife '07. The updates have cost $49 in the past, but now cost $79. iTunes updates are free, and minor revisions to everything else (iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, iDVD, GarageBand, Safari, Mac OS X, Mail, etc.) are free. The Leopard update will most likely be $129.

There isn't a whole lot of news about it, but I'm predicting a whole new iMac by the end of the summer.

Oh, and if you're a student, be sure to take advantage of the education discount.

Welcome to the Mac!

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't put off purchasing hardware just because of software. Software is so cheap and easy to upgrade by comparison. But given where we are in the product life cycle, you should probably wait for the product updates in June (most likely).

You may get lucky and Apple says that not only will they give everyone who buys in June iLife 07, but also an upgrade coupon for Leopard. It's possible. But seriously, I wouldn't let potential software upgrades drive your hardware purchases. Just pick up some great hardware in June.

4. caleb8673 thread starter macrumors newbie

No No No.....Sorry if I didn't make sense.

What I was trying to say was does apple usually sell their last models at a discount when they do a upgrade. Like buying a 06 car when they release 07's @ a discount. I've never bought a computer retail ( always build and handed down from my brother) All I'm really trying to do is get the best deal. I'm not so worried about the latest and greatest so I could deal with not having the newest processor it looks like apple is going to change in the iMacs or the new industrial look they may change. Just thought if I bought a refurb today and in June Apple discounts the iMac to make room for the new model. I would have made a ignorant mistake from lack of knowledge of the companies practices.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Historically, Apple simply takes any stock off the market. Their manufacturing schedule takes the new release in to account, so there's not much of the old stock available. It usually is then reserved for warantee replacements of that same model, or ultimately sold off in the Clearance center.

So, if they announce a new iMac version, once the new ones are actually shipping, any remaining old versions are no longer for sale.

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Oh, yeah, they do that, but they aren't listed as refurbs...they're listed under clearance because they've never been opened and they're trying to get rid of them. They don't always do this, but they do every once in a while.

Good luck.

7. caleb8673 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Really appreciate the info. Exactly what I was looking to find out. Thanks and I look forward to discovering this new Mac World.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah often when a new model is released, you can find either clearances or refurbs of the old model very cheaply for the next two or three months.

That's how I got my current PBG4 for $1640. Apple bumped the PBG4s up to the better screen (with the lines and all that) and I got the old model as a refurb for about 350 less.

But there's no free lunch, you're buying an older machine that will be obsolete faster. It'll be a six to nine month old model by the time you buy it.

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

Wait and get the new iMac. Patience will pay off in the long run.

11. caleb8673 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done Deal

I can only go off the advice of experience and wait for the new imacs. I still may buy a older one but at least I'll know what I'm not getting. Til June it is........

12. seany916 macrumors 6502

Just wait. It'll come. You won't regret waiting. Then you can live with your iMac happily for the next few years.