To wait or not to wait??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prp134, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. prp134 macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
    Hello Again,

    So I was thinking of buying a powerbook 15" but I have been getting all these news about it being a dead platform once the new intel powerbooks come out. Now first, is this true? If infact intel powerbooks do come out, will the old powerbooks be useless? Second, How long will I have to wait?

    I have a decent PC now, I could certainly wait a few months, even a yr if infact new powerbooks do come out. Also, what would this new upgrade to the powerbooks mean exactly? will it be worth the wait?

    What do all you Mac fans recommend? or should I get a refur PB or wait till the new PB come out and buy an old PB because I think by then the price will certainly drop to make way for the new PB, man ! just when I was ready to buy a new computer, I get more options.
  2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a


    Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Search the forum: this has been discussed before.

    BTW, a G4 Powerbook will still work once the Intel laptops come out. Software still will be compiled for PPC probably for another 3-5 years after the release of Intel Powerbooks. It's not like the day the Intel PB are shipped, the G4 won't turn on...

    As for Intel PB, it will at least another year before they are released, and probably closer to 2 years.
  3. iEric macrumors 6502a

    Jun 26, 2003
    See - I was thinking about the same thing (but about a iMac) and this is what I've come up with...

    -FAST! (strictly talking about G5 though)
    -new AND old software will work on the powerpcs
    -You'll always want something new when the intel comes along

    TO WAIT...
    -You get the latest when the Intel Macs come out
    -First REVs are usually the ones with the most problems, so you'll probably want to wait for the second batch

    In terms of price, I think it'll roughly be the same...even though Jobs claim that Intel is cheaper.

    It's totally up to you - can you wait? If you can, you might as well see what's out there.
    If you can't, like me, get one now! :)
  4. dejo Moderator


    Staff Member

    Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    When did he say that?
  5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816


    Jan 25, 2005
    I say whats the point in waiting, you only live once. Its pointless waiting for the Intel books.

    Buy the powerbook now, enjoy it, then in a few years when you decide to upgrade the Rev B or C Intel Powerbooks should be out. I bought my Powerbook about a month ago, and someone would have to pry it out my cold dead hands to get it away from me :D. Its not like I'm going to be missing out when the Intel PBs come out, because my PB absolutely flys.

    Live for today..
  6. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
    See thats all I wanted to know, I was just think that maybe there was something wrong with the powerbook now thats why they are changing and i didnt want to get stuck with probs like I have with my pc. I think i might just buy a refurb powerbook then and then save for a new intel powerbook.

    OR...I could buy a IMac now with the G5 and then when the new powerbook is out buy the intel powerbook hm....maybe i'll do that.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Don't think anybody has said anything about price.

    If Apple uses a standard chipset, that'll cost less (custom probably the same), distinct the lack of R&D support (extortion payments to IBM/moto) and the possibility of Intel marketing support flowing in.

    But none of this means the prices will be drastically different.

    Apple could give us more at the same price point today, or notch them down a bit.

    A couple hundred off the iBook and PowerBook would be nice for education sales though.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I also think that the price will be about the same as today. Apple will probably just offer us more.

    Like others my recommendation would be to wait for the Rev. A Intel Mac. Just safer to let others work out the problems.
  9. triton macrumors regular

    Jul 15, 2003

    Agreed. I purchased my Powerbook two weeks ago and I LOVE IT!! Computers will always be refreshed, oudated and replaced. ALWAYS. It's a fact of life. Computers aren't like furniture, where it can potentially last you a lifetime. If you can wait until the Intel's come out, by all means do so. But ask yourself what your really buying the computer for. Operating system or chip. What difference does it really really make? Any? Besides by the time you purchase a Revision B or even C, someone will more than likely ask if they should wait for the G6's liquid cooled 1/2 thick powerbook.

    Stop playing the waiting game. I waited too, just like you. Going for a Revision D powerbook G4 is not a bad choice. I say get it now, it's an Apple computer and it will knock your socks off, regardless if there is an Intel or IBM chip inside. ;) Besides, if you save up your money, in a few years you can get that intel then, and rule the day today and tomorrow!
  10. yklxcq macrumors member


    Jun 22, 2005
    We have got HUGE base of PPC user, this transition takes time, and PPC would still be support for next 3-5 years.
  11. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Buy the PowerBook

    Easy decision - get the PowerBook now!! You will not regret it!!

    They are great machines - plenty fast enough for nearly all users. For people who want super performance, desktops are the answer. I am extremely happy with mine - and (most importantly, it looks great too :D) It goes to work every day to surf the net, these forums :p and email etc. All of my creative work is done on the G5 at home.

    It all boils down to what you want to do with it... If you are a power user, PowerBooks are good for going out and showing the finished product. But creating it is better done on a G5 dual.

    Bottom line - go and buy the new Toy!!!

  12. roadapple macrumors regular

    Oct 21, 2004
    If you have a nice mac that is doing everything you need, wait.

    If you have an old mac and you really wish it did more, get a new mac.

    If your using a pc, don't wait and get a mac today.

    If your low on cash, get a used mac, a mini or ibook. It will last 2-3 years, which is all anyone can ask.
  13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Sep 19, 2003
    Get it now and be happy. You are looking at end of 2006 more likely early 2007 for the intels, and who knows what the rev. a's will be like.

    Mine's coming friday. :D Along with a new color iPod, for $90. Rebates are nice.
  14. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
  15. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    Do like me and get a PB now. The current revision is excellent and the Power PC is really fast. Waiting almost a year at least for Rev A Intel PB will not be good. It will most likely have some issues with some of the older software and it might not be as fast due to some emulation. When I get my PB, I don't plan on upgrading for at least 5 years. Maybe add some RAM in a year or so.

    People continue to think that as soon as Mactels are out, their PPC Macs will not run any more. If you turn your computer off and store it for 10 years, it will run the exact same as the day you turned it off. Newer software of course as in the PC world will run slower or might not be supported. But the software you had on your computer will run the exact same way. My Windows 98 PC from 1999 runs just as good as when I got it. Probably even better due to RAM upgrade, clean install, and upgraded video card.
  16. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I think that you are going to be very happy with your decision. It will provide you with great service. Just be sure that you add at least 1 GB of RAM and also purchase AppleCare.
  17. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    You don't have to buy AppleCare upfront thus saving some money for the time being. You can add it up to the last day of your normal 1 year warrant. Also buy the 1GB stick from Crucial and not Apple. You will save almost 50% buy buying from Crucial.
  18. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    If a person feels comfortable installing the RAM themselves, then use the Crucial RAM link above. It will help you and MacRumors. Not getting the AppleCare within the first 90 days means that after the 90 days the phone support with Apple would end. Otherwise you get a full three years of phone support.

Share This Page