To wait or not to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandomAccessMem, Mar 9, 2015.

  1. RandomAccessMem macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2015
    I've been waiting for a 2015 update of the rMBP, and now that its out (13 inch), I'd like to upgrade from my old 2010 MBP 13". So my question is, should I be waiting longer into the year for a Mid-2015/Late-2015 Update with better specs? Or should I get a 13" rMBP now, configured to (preferably) 16GB of RAM and a 3.1GHz intel i7? (2199 USD)
  2. ThoseBackPages macrumors regular

    Apr 9, 2010
    New York
    Need it now, get it now.

    if you're going to wait for "the next upgrade", you could be playing thatgame forever, as Apple will never stop "upgrading" their stuff
  3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    They just came out with an update today. I'd just buy it now.
  4. RandomAccessMem thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2015
    Sorry, I was just wondering if there would be any major updates to the rMBP line in the near future (WWDC, iPhone Event 2015).
  5. Matthias46 macrumors newbie


    Oct 11, 2014
    Just buy it without thinking to next upgrades!
  6. potatosalad macrumors newbie

    Mar 11, 2015

    I am somewhat in the same shoe with you. I am using a 2009 Macbook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 750 GB SATA Disk

    I can't afford the new macbook pro maxed out spec.

    With 128GB, 16GB of RAM + 3.1 GHz - A$2,489.00
    With 256 GB, 16GB of RAM + 3.1 GHz - A$2,789.00

    I think I could just purchase the 256GB, 16GB or RAM and 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz - A$2,379.00 :)


    Smaller flash storage(128GB) but maxed out specs for A$2,489.00.

    I also think for you, should just get it now for your needs now. (Like me)
  7. Alklha macrumors newbie

    Aug 18, 2012
    This is normally my line of thinking, but it's a little different this time around. There is no point on working on a slow machine for a year waiting for an upgrade, so buy if you really need it. If you can wait, wait.

    I had planned on upgrading early this year, but the new MacBook likely indicates a major redesign of the MBP is coming in the next 12 months and my current machine can see me through that.
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    What are you using it for??

    Why would you need 16 GB of RAM is really my question?? Almost nobody needs 16GB of RAM. See here

    Also the i7 is a dual core the same as the i5 and makes no real world difference unless you are pegging all your cores to the max for hours on end. Even then it's only a 5 - 10% speed increase and is not worth the money unless your work relies on speed in rendering video or number crunching in scientific apps. If this is the case then the quad core 15 inch is what you really need anyway....
  9. Mik3F macrumors 6502

    Feb 3, 2011
    This is what I am planning on doing, will wait for the next update to see if they change the design and then go from there

    My 2011 is working perfectly fine for me anyway
  10. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

    Jul 12, 2013
    New York
    If you constantly wait for the new update, you'll never get a laptop because like someone said, Apple always comes with a new upgrade every year. If you need the laptop now, get it now. It'll serve you well for many years, I guarantee that. I bought my laptop in late 2013 knowing that they were going to make an upgrade a few months later, but I needed a laptop ASAP, so I bought it then and I don't regret it at all. I'm going to keep my laptop until it stops working altogether. I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. Just get it and enjoy it.

Share This Page

9 March 9, 2015