to wait or not to wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fromalk, Jan 6, 2008.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone;

so I've been looking to sell my 24' iMac of the latest generation, and I found some buyers. Normally I would sell the Imac tomorow and go to the store to purchase the 15' 2.2Ghz mbp. However there seems to be 1 small problem.

I need more drive space, there is a 120gb drive in the mbp but I need at least 200gb. No that isn't much of a problem scince I can just replace the hard drive afterwards. BUT; maybe it is more interesting to wait for the new macbook pro's. My guess is that they'll have more disk space, however I don't think I can be really sure about that because with the speedbump a few months ago they didn't bother to upgrade disk space either.

So my question is;
    do you think that there will be more disk space in the new macbook pro's if they are released the 15th?

And another problem is that I have to use the mbp for school to, so I pretty often need a cd/dvd drive which wont be included probably in the new mbp's as ffar as rumors go. That would be a problem for me scince I then always have to take it with me everywhere I go.

Would love to here your opinion.

Regards Stijn

2. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hey Stijn (also from Belgium?)
    I'd definitly wait for Macworld to buy your new laptop. They haven't really updated the MPB's since more than half a year. I'm waiting for the updates myself to buy a MBP too.
    What do you mean with the cd/dvd drive? The MBP's have one...
    greetz

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I can see Appple bumping the low-end model to 160GB and high-end model to 200GB. Both would be 5400RPM though. If you have read the rumors carefully, they said that the rumored Ultra Portable/Slim Macbook/13" Macbook Pro would loose the optical drive and not the 15" or 17" Macbook Pro.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And if only a new ultra-portable MB/MBP is released, you can always upgrade the current model MBP to 320GBs after you purchase it.

5. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I am indeed from Belgium, nice to meet you :)

Seems I didn't read the rumors well enough. So the 15' will still have a dvd drive, that's great because I really need one.

I was thinking of buying the current one and just install a bigger hard drive, the biggest question for me is just that; will the new macbook pro have a whole new design or will it stay like it is now, cause I love the current design!

Isn't it possible to order a macbook pro next saturday and if the new model is way better for the same price to just cancel my order and make a new order?

Regards Stijn

6. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

My advice to you is just to wait til the 15th. If the MBP gets updated, the last rev models wil go to the refurbished store, lowering the price although some can still be new. This way, if you wait, you can get the newer model if you want or get the older one for cheaper. On another note, I would also like to say that if you upgrade the current MBP's HDD, it will void your warrenty. The new MBP could very well have a user replaceable HDD.

7. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

Well that was my original intention, however htere is no shop for refurbishments in Belgium. Anotehr problem is that I want to buy the mbp via a ADC student discount and those arent available on refurbished models I understand?

Isn't it possible to replace the hard drive yourselves in the current mbp line? edit; nvm it isn't

8. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Yes, when you buy through ADC you do not get a discount on a refurbished product. I still would just wait and buy through ADC. I will be buying a MBP on the 15 through ADC with the 200GB 7200RPM HDD upgrade which is only going to be $160 by getting through ADC.

9. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to call our national resellers tomorow, maybe one of them cuts me a deal if there is a new model the 15th so I can wait and see wath the new model will be. If it dosn't have a bigger hard drive I'll buy one at a reseller and pay a bit extra for a bigger drive.

Regards Stijn

10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

You can get up to 250gb built to order from the Apple store. I'd personally wait until MWSF, but even if they bump the entry level MBPs they probably wont come standard with 200gb so you'd still need to upgrade it.