To wait or not to wait...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Jun 24, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

As July 11th approaches I am looking forward to buying 3 iphones for my wife, son and me. But there seems to be the same fervor building like last year...which I deliberately avoided while adhering to my First Rule of Apple: never buy the 1st generation of any Apple product.
    My question is this: is anyone planning to queue up on the 11th to buy or are you planning to, like me, wait unit Sunday and probably walk into a relatively calm AT&T or Apple Store?

2. TheFam macrumors member

Nope, I'm lining up. The words "Sold Out" scare me.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if i decide to buy on launch, i'm planning to just walk in after work, i seriously doubt it will be sold out, it wasn't sold out last time and there were plenty of people wanting it, and all those poor guys who were camping for it, i felt bad for them.

i may wait a few days for initial reports, just to make sure there are not defects in the design since it is a new case mold and all, last thing i want is to find out there is a defect in the initial production run and all i get is a case cover to fix the issue, instead of a new phone

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

me too!!!

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Erroneous on so many levels.

iPhone 3G is not a 1st generation product... Its the 2nd Generation.

6. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have always had fun waiting in line for launch. My buddies and I get drunk in line for xbox games. and I have already scheduled off of work. Goodbye ipod touch

7. wentwj macrumors regular

Reading comprehension FTW! (pssst, he said he didn't buy the FIRST iPhone because it was a 1st gen product, hence why he is buying the 3G iPhone)

8. airlights macrumors regular

Am I the only one -- please take that beginning with a grain of salt; I know I am not completely alone -- who doesn't think it will be difficult to get a iPhone 3G on July 11th. With the many at&t and Apple stores in the States, surely there enough to go around. Plus, I think the activation deal will go very smoothly. The at&t stores around me runs quite smoothly during high traffic days, and as long as people are patient and the sales associates are trained properly, it'll go just fine.

Cheers!

Oh wow, I cannot read at all. I did not see your final statement! Honestly, depending on what time they start selling the iPhone, wouldn't most people be tired from work to queue? Also, who is most likely to queue? I say fanboys and girls, and they only make up what 10% of the Apple market. I'll probably queue after work though. I am a nerd.

9. ijoe13 macrumors newbie

After work

I'll prob stop by my local Apple or ATT store after work, and avoid the initial lines. I though about lining up, but I doubt it will be sold out by the time I get to the store in the afternoon.

Joe

10. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

My point exactly...I did not buy the the 1st gen....

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think there will be quite as much initial demand for this one as there was for the first one. There are millions of us who are in no hurry to get a new iPhone when the first one works pretty darn well. If you blew $600 on the first one, you might not feel like blowing $200 a year later for what is mostly the same thing (if you have a GPS in your car, you're just getting 3G).

The bigger deal will be the 2.0 firmware. That's one big free upgrade for all 6 million or so who already have the phone. Don't forget that especially in the US, there are HUGE areas with no 3G coverage. Sure, it's coming later, but why spend that money before you can utilize it?

12. minik macrumors 65816

Just wait in-line. I know it's just a phone, but I'm sure it's worth it. I never worried about 'sold out', but I just love waiting in-line for hours.

13. Macmerized macrumors newbie

In the States maybe, but for millions of us this IS the first one...

14. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Do I sense sarcasm? lol

15. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

I would say wait....because:
    - They lowered the price by 200 DOLLARS!
    - And they made it a 16 gig.... 4x the 4 gig!

So... all this to say, just wait because you never know what apple could do.....

16. JPark macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'll be dropping the price this time around. I am intrigued by the possibility of a storage upgrade though. We know they'll drop the 8GB and probably go with a 16GB and 32GB at some point. The big question is when. If I knew the 32GB was coming in 4 months, I'd definitely wait. If it was going to be a full year though, I'd probably pull the trigger and buy it July 11th. I could really use that extra 16GB of storage though. How can you fit music, movies, photos, apps, and email in 16GB???

17. dswinograd macrumors newbie

dswinograd

agreed:eek::eek: