To wait or not to wait..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkinnyPig73, Jun 25, 2008.

  1. SkinnyPig73 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    #1
    Alright....my deal is that I am going to college, and I want a new computer. I am pretty sure I can squeeze a couple of more years out of my PC, even though I don't want to. My mind is set on getting a mac, but I have no clue what to do. I was thinking about a Mac book, because I still need money to eat. <---Joke, but, seriously, I don't want to spend more than $2000. It took me MANY MANY summers to earn that much, and neither my family or I are rich. Also, I would like the Mac I am might get to last 4 years (unlikely, but I would really really really really like to).

    Do you guys think the new Mac book will come out before September? Cause if it is I could wait a little longer and see if the new Mac book is a part of the back to school promotion thing.

    Should I wait for the upgrade that might come in September?
    Or buy a Mac book now and get the student discount and a free ipod??
    Or the third option that my parents suggest which is to buy a some cheap Dell for a lot less money and just buy a new one WHEN the Dell breaks??? (That is why I would really really really like the Mac to last 4 years, so that it would be more reasonable to buy)
    OR THE FORTH CHOICE WHICH IS TO NOT BUY A NEW COMPUTER AT ALL AND USE MY $H#**Y PC UNTIL NEXT SUMMER.

    I want a Mac book, but budget and the supposed update is stopping for pulling the trigger on the purchase.

    TO WAIT OR NOT TO WAIT...THAT IS THE QUESTION
     
  2. hoangcong macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #2
    imho buy it now, wait a bit for a bit of upgrades, or wait for the big O :D
     
  3. felixkunze macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    West Sussex, UK
  4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #4
    A few things to consider:

    * How bad, really, is your current PC? Does it work fine, but you're jonesing for an upgrade? Or is it having problems, stuttering, can't keep up with music playing and writing papers? If it's actually having problems, is too slow for basic work, is at risk of failing and losing data then replace it without reservations. You don't want to enter college with a faltering computer. College is tough enough without extra risks of a computer meltdown that will eat your final term paper at midnight and waste a week of your time getting it fixed / replaced.

    * Do you get a better discount through your college or high school? (Maybe all Apple edu discounts are the same?)

    * There seems generally to be a back-to-school sale, so definitely wait for that.

    * What's your major? Do your courses require a computer? If you're a humanities student, then maybe yes, since you'll be writing a lot of papers. If you're a science student, then maybe no, as those classes often require pencil and paper homework.

    * A middle MacBook, with AppleCare, no upgrades, a 16% edu discount (from what I've heard), MS Office and 7% tax is about $1550. That's well under your $2000 budget. Plan for the actual purchase, not the maximum you could possibly spend.

    * A computer can easily work well for 4 years. And if your main uses are email, web, music, and writing papers, you could buy a used computer from five years ago and still be fine in four years.
     
  5. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #5
    At this point, wait until August. Or buy it now and catch the second
    revision of the new one later on and sell the current model. Some
    have expressed reservations about buying the first revision of a major
    upgrade.
     
  6. msw123307 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #6
    I'd at least hold off until the updates.

    Or maybe you should look at getting a more powerful Macbook or even Powerbook from the refurb store? If so, you wouldn't have to wait..and you'd surely find something cheaper and with better specs. Good luck.
     
  7. NicoleCloset macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
  8. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #8
    If you NEED it now, buy it now.

    Otherwise keep on saving so you can buy a better model when the time comes that you DO need it. :)
     

Share This Page