To wait or not to wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elpmas, Sep 13, 2009.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I've really been debating about this lately, but can you guys give me some of your inputs. I want an Ipod Touch 3g (or the latest model) and I've been wondering if I should wait until all these troubleshooting/bugs be fixed or should I buy it now and try to figure out the problems myself? Any advice relating to this would be much appreciated :] thanks in advance.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I don't think there are any bugs to really worry about. This new version of the iPod touch is essentially an improved edition of the previous iPod touch. The only thing worth waiting for would be the rumor of eventually having a camera in the iPod touch, but personally I don't think that's worth the wait.

I'd just go for it. You won't regret it. :)

3. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Haha. Thanks :]
    Ah, just got to wait to persuade myself :D
    I have a feeling that a newer version is coming soon...*sigh*

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I say go for it as well.

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Just buy one now, or else you will keep waiting for something that you could be enjoying right away

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As others have said, the current version is essentially a revision of the 2nd Generation one, so there shouldn't be much for issues. The only reason that I would wait if I were you would be if you were looking for the addition of a camera, which I suspect will be coming somewhat soon (anywhere between a month from now and 6 months). But if you don't care for a camera then I would say go ahead and purchase it now!

7. picollus macrumors member

Forget that... new ipod will not happen before new ipod lineup refresh like feb 2010. Iphone will be upgraded before the ipod !

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Um, I said between a month from now and 6 months from now (which includes next February). I believe the rumors that there was a mass manufacturing defect with the new iPods during production were true and I think that once Apple corrects these issues they will push out the new iPod touch with a camera. If Apple were able to push out this iPod next month then I am sure that they would so they could get more sales out for the holiday season. Apple doesn't have to have some huge event for updating the iPod touch. The first generation had a pretty big memory bump without an announcement, and this year Apple released a completely new iPod shuffle without any announcement of any kind.

If Apple were able to release a new iPod touch before the holiday season gets into full swing then I am sure that they would, after all, more sales.

9. xiaolung macrumors newbie

I'm waiting. I bought a 16M iPod in December 2 years ago. At the time, I was not looking at sites like MacRumors to get any info - I just purchased an iPod Touch on whim.

Three months later, the iPod Touch was upgraded with speaker and larger memory which I would have paid for before. I felt a bit burned, but chalked it up to not having knowledge.

I've kept my original Touch since with no regrets. When the new 3G Touch was released with no camera, I was a bit disappointed, but thought I would get one anyway because the voice features I need. I won't wait for the camera (even though I wanted one).

But if I did, and the camera iPod Touch was released in a few months, I would regret my purchase A SECOND TIME. So, I'm waiting and will wait until next year. If the camera is released, great, if not, then I'll get the next upgrade. But if the rumours are true, I am determined not to be burned again.

10. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

thery're just going to release another one after that, then after that, then after that, lol...so you might as well just wait forever

11. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

And this is why if you don't buy it within the first two months of it's release, you get trapped into a waiting cycle. Go for it. Just like me.

12. MacPrincess888 macrumors newbie

I would just go for it. I was contemplating the same thing, but decided to just get the 64GB one. I have a 3.2MP camera on my phone, which is ALWAYS with me....so do I REALLY need another devise with a camera on it? And besides that, how good of a camera do you think the first iPod Touch camera will be? And will you be disappointed if its only video, just like the nano? I would say, buy it now because if not, you may be even more disappointed in the long run. Just go for it or you WILL be in a constant waiting game for the next best thing!:D

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yea, I would be ticked if the iPod touch came out with a camera but it was only a video camera like the nano. Again this is pushing me to the iPhone.

14. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Thanks guys, this really helped me make my decision. Thanks for your inputs :D

15. thefatmould macrumors member

I have already bought a 32Gb Fall 2009 iPod and don't regret it as it is my first iPod and i was going to buy it regardless.

16. xiaolung macrumors newbie

I'm not going to wait forever, but I really was looking forward to the camera. The photos Macrumors has up today have convinced me to wait until next year max. At some point, as with every technology, you have to commit. I'm just not going to commit right now when everything seems to be pointing to the fact that a camera is coming.

17. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

The best thing about it is when you first use the iPod touch and zooming in the picture or safari blows you away. The multi-touch is by far the best on a PMP.

18. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

If you absolutely need a camera in your iPod touch:wait
    If you are still satisfied with your current iPod touch: wait
    If you are not satisfied: Buy
    If you don't have an iPod or iPod touch yet and want one: Buy

I bought the new iPod touch mainly because all I have currently is a iPod video that was released 3 years ago, and I have wanted a touch for a while now. While I would have liked for it to include a camera or video camera, it is not a feature that I need to wait 6 months to a year to buy a new iPod. It is a matter of what you have, what you feel you need, and if you will be satisfied.

19. arcadeforest macrumors member

Well I was possibly interested in upgrading my 32gig first generation touch before last week. It still does everything I need it to so I'll hold out for a while longer. With that said if something happened to my current Ipod I would not hesitate to wait for a newer version.

My dissappointment last week had nothing to do with a camera being left out. I was hoping for a larger touch model (something in the 4-6 inch screen range).

20. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'd day definetly wait.
    Don't reward Apple for their monumental blunders.
    This thing was supposed to have a camera in it at the same price.
    They are basically patting you on the head and saying, don't worry, pay full price now, we'll get our act together next time.

The only reason I would say to buy is if you have to have 64GB.

21. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

Would you be happy with a 2nd gen refurb? Save yourself a few bucks while you wait for the possible camera.

22. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Buy!!!!! If you decide to wait a few more months, by that time the rumors of the next generation touch would surface... along the lines of "higher capacity, OLED, faster processor, etc.". So you'll decide to wait some more. Then when the keynote comes and you end up disappointed because of one feature you were craving for (Steve Jobs might pull another flip on you and not include a cam... "because it's for games blah blah blah), you'll decide to wait futher more for the rumored dual or quad core, 5megapixel iPod touch lol. And the waiting goes on and on and on. Another possibility is that we won't see another iPod touch refresh until September next year so you'll just end up pissed waiting if it'll come "next month" :D.

Best choice is buy every time there's a new model while selling your older one, that is if you can save the cash. That way, you'll be happy and laugh at all the pissed disappointed crowd after every keynote announcement.

On a budget, just buy refurbs. If you don't game at all and just use this for music and video playback, the 2nd generation is snappy enough and you wont notice any speed difference at all. But if you like your games, the new touch is totally badass. Early speed tests confirmed it's even faster than the 3GS.

Can't wait for my 64gb for gaming. I hardly use my cellphone cam and I have 5megapixels with xenon flash.

23. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Ha, reading some of these posts makes me want to get a 2nd gen instead of the 3rd gen since they have similar features. :eek:

Btw, this line is hilarious:

"They are basically patting you on the head and saying, don't worry, pay full price now, we'll get our act together next time."