To wait, or not to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RudyGrow, Dec 12, 2009.

1. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Alright, I'm a student and I've been saving up for a new MacBook Pro since June.

My parents agreed to pay the difference and taxes as a Christmas present. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I should get one for Christmas, or wait another month and go for the potential quad-core?

I really don't need the quad core, but there might be some smaller details on it that make me regret getting the one for Christmas.

I would be buying either a refurbished 15 inch or a brand new 13 inch in January.

So, what should I do?

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

im highly doubting quad core in 13" im guesing a bigger harddrive and a slightly faster cpu

3. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

sweet. i love it when someone asks the question I already had in mind on forums. so yeah, same question please. :D

alos, for kids on budgets less than 2k, how much better is the 15"er compared to the 13.3"

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I would recommend getting the 13" refurbished then with the extra money you save ($200), you can upgrade it to a 500GB HD and 4GB of ram. This computer will be plenty for almost every application except maybe some really extreme gaming and video editing. But for most people a 13" is enough

5. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Hardware wise I agree with you but screen real estate wise, if someone wants 15 then they should get 15.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

If you think you'll need the 15 get it. If you're absolutely sure that you don't, get the 13.

I was wondering whether I should get another 13 or wait for the updates. I've now been enjoying my new 13" for 2 months and don't really care if it gets upgraded after christmas as I does all I need it to and some more.

7. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

and what of these 15"ers striping... LED to blame? and how common of a problem is it?

& is Apple really gonna beast out the new MBPs this new quarter?

(thanks for the feedback so far fender, Oasis, and Gabriel)

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The only people that are truly in the know are some of the "higher ups" at apple, us, the general public, can only speculate.

If you don't need the quad-core, why wait for it?

I bought my iphone 3g 2 months before they updated it on the 3gs, and I really don't care, iphone 3g does all i need to do and then some, same goes for my 2008 non-unibody mbp, it does everything I want it to fast, efficiently, I feel no need for an upgrade even though the newer machines are faster, better, have more battery life and whatnot.

Be happy with what you get for christmas, a newer, better, cooler MBP is ALWAYS around the corner, there is no way around that, so buy it when you want/need it and be happy with it.

9. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

And that's what I'm here for. Speculation, at least to me, is half the fun

Because the future Ian may need it :p

I wish i could be more you.

10. Collider macrumors regular

Best advice there is, period. I really would've liked to have gotten away with the 13'' myself, because I find its portability highly appealing... but, knowing how many hours I have to spend per day glaring at Word or FileMaker Pro, those two inches make a huge difference.

Plus, in my case, I was downgrading from a 17'' beast of a machine, so the drop to 13'' would've been even harder to adjust to.

11. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

didnt know them two inches made such a difference. thanks for the tip guys.

12. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

To me they don't without the appropriate bump in screen resolution (the screen of the 15" has fewer pixels-per-inch than the 13"). If the 15.4 offered 1680*1050 it would be enough of a reason for me to get it.

Still other people can't live without the extra screen space of the 15". So check them both out, balance your needs and pick the one that feels easier to use.

13. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

yeah see i dont mind missing two physical inches (i kind of like it, makes it more portable) but screen res is definitely a factor i take in to heavy consideration.