To wait or not to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by troop231, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. troop231 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #1
    Almost ready to buy my first MBP, and if Apple is going to be refreshing it this fall then shouldn't I wait if I want the latest and greatest? Or is Apple only refreshing these once a year? Thanks in advance! Was planning on purchasing the i7 2.66 15" high res glossy, with 500gb 7200 rpm and get a 8GB ram kit from OWC. :D
     
  2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2010
    #2
    It is up to you. If you are going to play that game, you will be waiting forever.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll not be updating the line this fall.
     
  4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #5
  5. Zak.V macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    #6
    If you dont need one right now id wait till sandy bridge comes out. Say first half of next year...

    But if you really want a shiny new one go for it!
     
  6. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #7
    Next year? holy crap! lol I def. want to buy a MBP before Christmas but after Thanksgiving this year if that helps.
     
  7. ytk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    #8
    Glossy? Ew. Stop encouraging them! :p

    The MacBook Pro is roughly mid-cycle now, so if you need one it's a reasonable time to buy. If you could wait awhile, you might get a slightly better machine in a few months. I think the next generation is likely to be just a speed-bumped version of what's available now, so the difference is more evolutionary rather than revolutionary. But that's just a WAG.

    FWIW, I just bought a 17" (matte, thank you very much) and I'm quite happy with it. But I couldn't wait--I needed a laptop for work. If you can live without one, you might as well wait until either you really need one or the next refresh, whichever comes first.
     
  8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #9
    Buy now! You never know when the next refresh will be or if it is even worth it.:cool:
     
  9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

    iggypod

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #10
    +1. Exactly!
     
  10. circularforward macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    #11
    There are rumors of a very slight increase in speed for this fall, but Sandybridge would be the next definite refresh next year. The Intel Sandybridge roadmap was leaked somewhere on here today. I believe there was a 2.7ghz i7 on it.

    Edit: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=991274. Sandybridge roadmap.
     
  11. Zak.V macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    #12
    buy it tomorrow then, education discount is over after this month.

    p.s gloss = </3
     
  12. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    Just get it now.

    The earlier you buy, the longer you get to use it before the next refresh.
     
  13. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Ontario
    #14
    haha that is the EXACT computer i am looking at <3 lol they generally update them once a year, and thats usually in the spring, but its looking like apple may be implementing the sandy bridge processor which is amazingly fast!!! but non of that is for sure, if the computer does what you want and need it to do, i say go for it =D
     
  14. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #15
    Um what? You can get a education discount if you're faculty any time of the year through here: store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing I don't care about getting an iPod either, I don't have the time to fool with rebates and reselling the iPod on eBay.
     
  15. ceshimm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #16
    if we have late 2010 update, it will only be the CPU. i7 620Mvs640M, not much difference. next update should be sandy bridge which means if INTEL release them in end of this year, APPLE might adopt them early next year. So at least next year.
     
  16. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #17
    If the MBP will update in the fall, it's not much improvement because the current MBP already ship with the fastest Dual-core CPU's. Only the GPU's could be improved.

    The only update worth waiting for is the one next year with Sandy Bridge.

    So in other words, buy one now. It's pointless to wait for a potential MBP update in the fall that won't be much of an improvement in the first place. By that time, you'll play the waiting game again because of the disappointing upgrade and you'll be wait for Sandy Bridge.

    ( And there might not even be an update again untill Sandy Bridge )
     
  17. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

    crawfish963

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Location:
    Texas
    #18
    Agreed. It's a constant game with Apple and refreshes anyhow. You buy something one year, then the next they refresh. You'll kick yourself and wish you would have waited, but if you had, you'd be in the same boat again the next year.
     

Share This Page