To Wait or to Buy Now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pab1953, Apr 15, 2009.

1. pab1953 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of purchasing my first iPhone. Should I buy one now as ATT and Apple are trying to move old inventory or should I wait until (June?) (July?) (August?) to get the new iPhone, which does sound like it should be pretty nifty (video, Flash, FM radio)? Thanks.

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

if you waited this long then wait at least another 3 months...

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You'll hear this from a number of people, but I'll be the first it looks...

If you need now, then get it. No sense in waiting. Otherwise, if you can wait, then hold off until June gets a little closer, and more information comes out.

Remember though. With a new OS and potentially new hardware, there'll be huge delays, and possible bugs. When the 3G came out, people had all kinds of issues activating, etc. plus limited quantities. If that's okay with you, then wait.

I love my 3G. I have no regrets at all. Same with my MB. I bought it about 6 months before the new Alu.'s came out. I'd love one, but I'm happy with the one I'm using right now. I've been productive for 6 months, and couldn't be happier...point? Don't play the "Wait until the newest/best/greatest one comes out" syndrome.

4. diemos macrumors 6502

wait.. it should be worth the wait. at least thats what i am doing.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Only you can answer this question.

7. ViPa macrumors 6502a

8. amk29j macrumors newbie

You know? I wouldn't even google this "secret." I'd first go to http://www.******.com .

*goes to http://www.******.com*

Oh :eek:! There it is! Type in the query and it pops up a URL so that you can post it on this forum! No freaking way!

9. Andruw91 macrumors regular

10. Resist macrumors 68030

Wait...no buy.....no wait.....buy buy buy......wait.

11. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

come on there are plenty of threads like this out there... Its all up to you. There could be a new iphone this summer could not be. If you want it now get it.. if you could wait then wait. Its all a matter of opinion...

12. Andruw91 macrumors regular

13. walldawg84 macrumors member

My contract with Orange in the UK runs out towards the end of May, but since i have to give them a months notice I'll be phoning them next thursday. Apparently they'll give me my PAC code when I cancel my contract so I can transfer my number over, so in terms of waiting I can't really be bothered.

One week to i-day for me, and I couldn't be more excited about it, I don't see the point in waiting another couple of months for some unconfirmed (in terms of detailed spec) upgrades when I can have it now. I like the 3g, from occasions I've had the chance to play about with one, and for someone who doesn't have an iPhone it's better than nothing!

Besides, when the 3g came out there was a period where they'd let people upgrade from the original iPhone for a fee, wasn't there?

14. pab1953 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Yes!

16. pab1953 thread starter macrumors newbie

An additional couple of questions:

Two real shortcomings with the iPhone are its lack of cut and paste and its lack of support for Flash. Presuming these are provided in the 3.0 software, would I be able to get these (i.e. the 3.0 upgrade) even if I buy an iPhone now?

Are refurbished phones worth the $100 off? And is 8GB vs 16GB an important issue?

17. xyion1 macrumors regular

Cut & Paste and MMS will be available with iPhone OS version 3.0 for iPhone 3G (rumors of MMS not working for iPhone 2G are circulating).

No Adobe Flash support has been found in iPhone OS 3.0 yet. The upgrade to OS 3.0 will be free for any iPhone, though some features may be limited versus depending on hardware.

As for 8 v 16GB, I'm still doing just fine on an 8GB iPhone 2G...the next phone I purchase will be the one with the most memory (16 or 32 or whatever).

18. kzoojason76 macrumors member

You didn't learn from the first few comments, to do a search? All of these questions can be answered by a simple search.

19. pab1953 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a search and guess what? The most useful, timely and pertinent thread regarding my inquiry was ... this one!

Oft-asked questions, particularly ones with a storyline that changes by the day like iPhone 3.0, get new spins all the time and are worth asking oft.

If forum members are tired of answering such questions, that's fine. Don't answer. But thank you to those who did and who will.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Very well put. Kudos.

21. walldawg84 macrumors member

I second that!

22. spikedfo macrumors regular