To Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shurgie, Jul 27, 2008.

  1. shurgie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #1
    I decided a little over a month ago that I would wait until the new update to purchase my new laptop (probably MBP but not 100% against the MB). But I've begun to get that feeling like I would love to have it now, can't wait anymore. So I have about 2 weeks till I go to school, August 13th, and am still deciding to wait or not.

    Is it worth it to wait or should I just go out and buy one today?
    (My G4 Powerbook 12" is starting to look a little bit old to me. and the heat when using it is starting to get annoying.)
     
  2. LifeCerealRocks macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    San Diego
    #2
    If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, then wait. I would personally buy it now because I'm quite an impatient person.
     
  3. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #3
    As am I but I'm wondering if the update will be that BIG of a difference when purchasing it. I have the ability to buy it as late as August 18th, but would love it earlier to allow myself time to load programs and such.
    If the update is coming before than I may be able to wait otherwise no update for me
     
  4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #4
    It'll be big for sure..... but its probably not gonna be in the coming two weeks or even two months for that!:)
     
  5. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #5
    Hmm... can't decide if it's worth the wait or not. Will be bad if I wait till the last minute and still no update.
     
  6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

    scotty96LSC

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #6
    If it is a need, you get it now. If it is a want, you wait.
     
  7. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #7
    Might I ask what type of school you are going to?

    If the work you're going to be doing won't be drastically affected by an update (ie, you do mostly Office related stuff), then I don't see much of an advantage to waiting, especially if school is going to start soon.

    I'd hold out until maybe August 8th or so, but beyond that, you'll want some time to set up your new notebook and transfer data and such. If you're off to college, never underestimate the ability of work and social life to distract you from the boring yet important setup of your computer.
     
  8. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #8
    Mass Media

    I am going to be going to Virginia Tech, into the communications program.
    I will be majoring in mass media communications, I will be getting into video and audio editing so the boost wouldn't be 100% needed but would be a good upgrade in my eyes that is.
     
  9. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #9
    Hmmm...that changes things doesn't it?

    I suppose you could wait until the macbooks are updated and use school computers in the mean time, but that would be a decision that only you could make. I personally wouldn't want to do that for very long. I think that if the macbooks haven't seen an update by the 12th, you'll have to just buy one that day.
     
  10. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #10
    Yeah, and since I'm still on the deciding edge of the MB vs. MBP because of the size and video card it'll give me some time.

    But since Apple says that the recent NVidia card issue is "not common, and very rare" (said by Apple Care and an Apple worker) it changes my mind on the MBP.
    Anyway to know if the card is faulty if I were to purchase the MBP?
     
  11. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #11
    I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're referring to. :eek:

    I'm sure that if the card was faulty, you'd be able to tell rather quickly (as in things wouldn't work) and Apple would quickly handle the situation.
     
  12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #12
    Haha... I could never stand waiting. When I decide I want a new computer it usually has to be within the next couple of weeks xD
     
  13. iOrlando macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #13
    I think its funny when everyone says buy if you want it, wait if you don't. Obviously, most people in a similar situation want the laptop..they dont know if they should wait or not. if they didnt want the laptop...whats the point of even thinking about when it will be refreshed.

    Anyways....

    Apple has a 2 week return policy if the product you just bought is refreshed. If it is an upgraded model..you just return whatever you bought and you can get the new upgrade. Therefore, I would buy it after August 5th. From what I have read, apple refreshes products on Tuesdays (not sure if it is actually true). f you buy on august 5th, the 2 weeks will go past the time you leave, and also if its not out by August 12th, it probably wont be coming out until the ipod promotional ends in September. And its worth getting the current macbook and get the 300 ipod promotional, because whatever macbook refresh there will be, it wont be worth $300. Now if you don't want the ipod touch..ebay it or something. Either way , you win.

    Also apple will probably update the ipod touch in september or later..but probably nothing major. Just a price drop for the same amount of memory. A major change in ipods maybe in 2009. so i wouldnt worry about getting a "non-updated" ipod touch.

    End of story wait a week or so.
     
  14. icecap macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #14
    I'm buying soon... I'm buying soon...

    so many people asked this question, including me... and after so long, I think only the one questioned can answer...

    my school starting next week... I am living in hostel... although my country may not be big, but travelling still takes 2hrs nonetheless... I thought I can wait... I waited enough I thought.. cos' I set myself a dateline... 29th is the day... 5th Aug is slowly phasing out of my dairy...

    any updates coming up within this 2 weeks I'll just kick my butt cursing my luck... but at least I could have own the most powerful MB for 2 weeks!! haha... it's not so obsolete anyway.. LED backlit, multigesture trackpad, longer battery life etc... these will go away as time goes, personally I feel, the machine working to your demands are probably the more important ones...

    won't life be more beautiful if we just step back and be more contended with things the way they are AS YET? I am using this to listen to myself and I hope this may serve well to others... :)
     
  15. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #15
    It's been suggested that the new MBP's will be out at the end of September. Can you wait until then?
     
  16. JohnnyRules macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    #16
    There is a new article on macrumors and it says late september. I am going away to college too, and I think I will wait till the 5th and then just buy it if nothing is announced. LINK
     
  17. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    Location:
    LI
    #17
    Yeah I read the above article, thing is I start school actual classes on Aug. 25th, so the ability to wait is unavailable. Was going to go tonight and purchase one actually or at least look. But now I'm thinking about waiting till tomorrow just because it will be Tuesday (Apple Day!). Plus you can't walk into an Apple store with the mind of just looking, when you have the money.
     

Share This Page