To wall mount or not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 18, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Should I wall mount my Sony 40v4100 tv, is there any disadvantage to wall mounting a tv?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

IMO, to genuinely make it look good you need to make sure you don't have wires snaking down the wall - and that'll cost some money.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No disadvantage but I would ensure you know that's where you want it. If you're putting it where you've always had your TV then yeah, it is ok. I would say that DMR is correct. I would snake the wires into the wall.

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

For gosh heavens' sake make sure you've got it in the right spot before you drill. When we bought our LCD tv, dad goes "Oh, I'm gonna wall-mount it." but he never actually sat on the couch and double-checked, and we've got the old plaster walls so it'll be a pain in the neck (that he doesn't want) to fix it and hang it right. We watch TV and the colours are always a bit dark because the TV is up too high.

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Raise the couch. :p:D

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Yeah, it would be easier than re-affixing the tv. ah well. We've kind of got used to it now.

Measure Twice, Hang Once.™

7. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Agreed, people tend to hang these TVs too high. Just my opinion, but when your sitting down, the bottom edge of the TV shouldn't be above eye level.

Also, hiding the wires is pretty easy as long as the components are going right below the TV. Just drill a hole behind the TV and then another directly below it behind your component cabinet. Or if you have access below, such as an unfinished basement, you can run the cables pretty much anywhere with little effort.

I've done quite a few of these installs for friends and family. Its not bad, just make sure you hit the studs and the bracket is level.

Wall mount is good, especially if you have kids - it keeps the tv up a little higher/safer. Its also cheaper to buy a bracket vs a piece of furniture. On the other hand a wall mounted TV isn't the novelty it used to be and it can look pretty cool not hung up. FWIW