To Warranty or not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pagibaru, Apr 19, 2011.

1. pagibaru macrumors newbie

Just purchased a 2011 MacBook Pro (first ever Mac product) from Best Buy (would be interested to hear if that was a smart move in itself compared to buying from a Mac store) and would like to hear from anyone about the wisdom or otherwise of buying a three year protection plan. Seems like BB's plan doesn't cover much (for $450). Are there other plans available that I could purchase outside of BB? Do I need a protection plan at all ? Are MacBooks so good that I'll not have reason to use a any protection plan? Responses most appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you a rough user? I think SquareTrade provides warranty that covers damage caused by the user so if you know it may not get treated so well, it might be worth it to consider that.

As for AppleCare, don't buy it now at least. You got a whole year to buy it. Some people say it is worth it while others disagree. There is no right or wrong answer but it does give you peace of mind. Personally, since you seem to be from the US, I would buy AC because you have no laws that protect consumers (we Europeans do). Buy it from Amazon for example, saves you some $.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Well to start off, you get 1 years of technical help support, and repair warranty service free of charge, and I don't think that extending it for an additional two years for £200 is worth the premium, and most Macs that I have owned have never suffered from any hardware faults. Besides, most issues on macs can be personally fixed, i.e. they do not require much part replacement after the standard one year warranty window.

I would personally not get an additional Apple Care warranty for two years, it just seems quite expensive and besides, I most likely refresh my macs whenever Apple updates their ranges, this is usually once every year and when they are released, I sell my old one to get the updated model of the mac (I currently own a MBA 13"), so two years would most likely go to waste.

4. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

That's not bad advice, but for those who can't afford the latest and greatest (even with selling their older/current one), AC is peace of mind for years to come.

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

If you plan to keep your machine for more than a year you must get AC.

My plan is to keep mine for 2.5 years. At that point the AC will have 6mo left and be transferable. I will be able to sell it on ebay with a full 6 month warrenty, adds a lot of resale value.

On top of that before I sell it I'm going to go to the store and openly tell them I'm getting it ready to sell so I can come back to the store and buy an upgrade. They will replace what ever they can if youre going to buy another machine from them.. dead pixel? new screen! (you should do this even if youre not going to sell it :rolleyes:)

That doesnt even take into account the fact that you may need it between month 12-30...

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Definitely, but the issue comes down to value - £200 is a heck load of cash, as the poster above mentioned, if you plan on keeping it for more than a year, it is recommended that you extend your MBP's limited warranty

7. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

You have a year to decide. I have always bought Apple Care and never had to use it, but you never know. Especially with a notebook. You can purchase Apple Care as long as it is within a year of the original purchase. Also, it's a good selling point when you want to sell if you have a few months left and it is easily transferred to the new owner via email.