To Web-Base or not to Web-Base....That is the Question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjgraz, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jjgraz macrumors regular

jjgraz

Hello,

I am somewhat of new developer and find myself in the mists of three books and still unable to answer the simple question my application requires. To web-base or not. The application we are creating needs to retain data inputted by the user at the interface level through a series of pickers,sliders, and text boxes, and be able to send that information to another iphone user so they may view it in the same application...I rather not use email for reasons of the infamous 1 app at a time rule,(my app will close and open email) the information would then arrive in the form of an email, and not in the application. Is there a way to use the sms texting within my application or is there another vessel available to send the data within my application so I don't have to create a website and go down the longer road of Web-based application?
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Any reason you can't upload/download from a server somewhere?

3. jjgraz thread starter macrumors regular

jjgraz

In what way would that work? I suppose I have considered using FTP methods but wasn't sure if that method warranted serious consideration. Is that what you mean?

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can write a web service, sitting on a server somewhere. The iPhone app sends the data to that service, it does whatever it needs to do, then the other person's device can fetch the info from the same service.

5. jjgraz thread starter macrumors regular

jjgraz

That sounds perfect! Do you have any idea of the a good company or site that may offer that type of service? I really appreciate it.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Uh... you're the app developer -- you're probably going to be the one to offer said service.