To Winterboard or Not to Winterboard?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RedPwnerRanger, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RedPwnerRanger macrumors member

I posted a thread earlier regarding Jailbreaking potentially damaging battery life or performance speed. Most of the replies said that the Jailbreak itself doesn't necessarily do either of those things, but adding various things after JB'ing, such as Winterboard (being the most common answer), does.

I know how awesome Winterboard is, and I'm interested in the awesome things it offers (getting various themes, Five Icon Dock, custom sliders and other stuff, yeah yeah yeah, I know), but I wanna know if I should get Winterboard or not once I jailbreak if I'm interested in still maintaining the speedy performance and battery life of my phone (16G iPhone 4 running 4.2) pre-JB.

I just wanna know because I had my old 3G JB'd, with Winterboard, and the speed was destroyed after a while. Thanks for the input in advance :D

2. Los macrumors regular

On an iPhone 4, speed isn't necessarily lost at all, maybe very very slightly but it's not noticeable. At least not to me.

It really doesn't hurt to try though, if it slows down your iPhone, then just uninstall it. It's that simple.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I noticed no speed difference with WB installed as opposed to my phone pre-JB. I've seen some people complain about it and some who won't ever use it again. Like the previous poster said, just install and run it and if you do notice some serious speed/battery issues then just uninstall.

4. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I was a HUGE non Wintberboard user for about 6 months. I thought it destroyed my 3gs so when I got my IP4 I was sold on not using it. That being said, I recently installed WB on my IP4 (few things I wanted on my phone that I couldn't do w/o WB). I noticed a slight change in the speed of opening and closing apps, but nothing I couldn't live with. Download and check it out for urself and go from there. I put my gf IP4 side by side with mine (she doesnt have WB) and apps do open up quicker on hers. I'm not saying it's 100% WB since I'm sure every single phone out there is slight different. GL

5. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Same here. I noticed no differences in performence with winterboard. In terms of before and after JBing, my battery life has strangely gotten noticeably better. :confused:

6. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

anything other than ip4 you should leave it off, but on ip4 there is no noticeable loss of speed! It simply makes life a little easier for you :rolleyes:

7. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I always been shook to do it. I might try it out though.........:D