To wipe my computer...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheDoorsi, Feb 12, 2009.

1. TheDoorsi macrumors newbie

Basically I'm trying to install windows xp on my macbook and bootcamp is telling me i need to defragment my hard drive. So i have a few questions..

1. First i don't know the best way to back up all my stuff without having to copy all of it back (I'm hoping to just reload the bare essentials so i can start fresh) - will time machine work well or should i manually grab all my essential files and drag em over to my external hd? Will my stuff be defragmented when i load it all back onto my mac?

2. If i just copy my itunes folder to the external HD, will it save my tags, artwork and library? For Iphoto too, if I just copy the folder will it remember my library?

3. Which system/library folders are essential, what besides my documents, pictures, music, movies and games

4. Is there anyway to copy over applications like Logic 8 and Microsoft Word and not have to reinstall them, and is it worth it?

Thank you for any and all help and if I forgot anything please don't hesitate to mention it.

(And yes, I can't partition it unless I defragment)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you sure it's not asking you to partition you hard drive?

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

If you back up everything using Time Machine, or create a clone of your HD using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, then wipe your HD and then restore everything, it will put everything back into the right order, eliminating the need to de-frag and allowing you to then partition your HD for Boot Camp.