To workstation or not, the iMac vs macbook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Grassgreen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

So im sitting here, rather lying down with my macbook(2009) on my lap. It´s been the trend these past years and I rarely sit down at a workstation.
    But now I ponder, should I get a dekstop Mac instead of buying a new portable?
    The macbook im sitting on now would bother me if it got stolen, only downside would be the loss of the harddrive inside. the machine still works, but its kinda slow and that bugs me alot. It has trouble playing full hd videos on youtube.
    If I got a desktop I would be getting more bang for the buck!

Watcha guys think, should I get myself one of those beautiful iMacs and make me a fine workstation. Or buy a macbook again and keep it going for 5 more years :D

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Do you need portability?

3. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

If your laptop never leaves your house, then you will get more bang for your buck with an iMac and better performance, definitely.

If you only take your laptop to show some picture or check your emails, facebook, etc., then you could consider a combo iMac + iPad. In terms of price, you would end up with something similar. However you would get better performance from the iMac so it's a better deal.

Now if you can't stand sitting down at a desk, you are stuck with a laptop, unless you make the most of the combo iMac + iPad once again and alternate between desk and couch.;)

4. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Sounds like you'd miss the convenience of portability even if you never leave the house. Even the lower MHz processors of today are much faster/efficient than the '09. I upgraded the drive and RAM in mine and it still sometimes beachballs on basic tasks.