Toast 10 won't burn large video file.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thestudentisrea, Sep 5, 2010.

1. thestudentisrea macrumors newbie

I have a video project I threw together for a party... composed of over seven hours of videos from youtube all mixed together continuously in Final Cut.

It's one continuous file. I've outputted it as a .mov, and it's total file size is around 9.4GB.

I want to burn it to a dvd. I understand that DVD file limit is more like 8gb and expect that it will need compression.

However... when I try to burn the file to a dvd using toast, it says that the total file size is like 900kb, so Im assuming it's only seeing metadata or something like that.

I thought maybe toast had a limit on filesize, so I exported from final cut using mp4, etc... and got file size down to under 5gb... no dice. Still only says 900kb or so for file size when I drop it into toast.

So... I tried splitting the project in half and exporting it in two pieces... and it works fine. Each half is nearly 5gb, and I can drop them into toast, and it will adjust it's output size depending on if I have selected single or dual layer output, etc...

... so why won't it do the same for the single file? It's not the file size... the mp4 version of the whole thing is actually smaller file than the half length ones... yet they work and it doesn't.

Is it a time limit? Does Toast 10 simply refuse to recognize a video file longer than a certain length? Each of the halves is over three and a half hours, and it's fine with them....

... or at least it seems to be... it's encoding part 1 of the split version to burn it now... but I really don't want to have to split it in two... I want ONE disk.

It's not an output size issue. It's perfectly happy compressing each half onto a single layer dvd.

2. funkmusic macrumors newbie

Same exact problem

I've been encountering the same exact issue. Anyone figure out how to keep
    it one movie file? When I import, I get the same 904 kb reading, and Toast is saying there is no data. Thanks.