Toast 8 or superdrive problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by None Such, May 9, 2008.

1. None Such macrumors 6502

Recently Toast quit burning dvds. Well it was doing it sporatically. I was using dvd-r's. I used a few dvd-rw's and they worked. It took a little while for the writer to start up but it worked. Then I got some more dvd-'s thinking the other batch wasn't working. And it didn't work on these either. Then I decided to put one of the old batch of dvd-r's in and try it and it worked. Then I tried it again and it didn't work. It will rip dvds and i've burned cd's from itunes. Anyone else having issues? I can't figure out what's going on. Is it Toast? Is it my superdrive?

2. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

how old is the machine?
    If it's a few years old & you burn a lot of dvd-CD's then it may be time to replace the drive.
    If it's a new machine then take it in to the apple store & have them replace it.
    Might try & re-install Toast, but my experience is that it is usually the drive or media. The fact that you tried 2 types of media suggests it's more than likely the Drive.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

it's not even a year old. It acts like it's not recognizing blank DVD-Rs. Any chance this is a firmware issue? I'm just really wanting this to be a hardware issue. :(

5. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Last night it burned a dvd-r. Kind of puzzling.