Toast 8 substitute , suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iag48, Sep 5, 2008.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

Well I have had it with Toast 8. I tried putting a movie that I downloaded on a DVD and It completely slowed down my system. On top of that it encodes soooo sloooow.

Is there another program that I can use but that it doesn't use up all of my power?

BTW I'm using a Macbook 2.2 (santa rosa) with 4gb of ram.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For the act of encoding specifically you can try ffmpegx. Otherwise Toast is your best bet. Regardless, downloading movies from the Internet that you don't own is wrong. :p ;)

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Traditionally, macs have always sucked at burning media - CDs, DVDs etc. That's just the way it is - Windows was always, always better at this. In the last few years macs have gotten better, but still nowhere near the burning power of Windows... there are many more and many much better burning programs for Windows than Macs. Nero - and this is just one example - was always head and shoulders above whatever was available for Mac.

5. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I never said it was an illegal download:p I use handbrake to rip dvds but then burning it to a dvd on with nero is a b*tch!! Why does it slow down soo much!
    C'mon guys there has to be something better!

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You will find Toast will burn files made by Mac The Ripper faster than than Handbrake files. MTR rips DVD native TS Files while Handbrake rips MPEG4 files.

MTR 2.6.6 (the last free version) is PPC but i find it runs OK under Rosetta.

7. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Uhm, no. If you're talking out of the box, Mac has always been better and more stable at burning CD's/DVD's than Windows. When you bring in 3rd party software, then I sort of agree with you. Nero is good. But then again so is Toast on the Mac.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

visualhub actually converts and lets you create a dvd video ts structure which can then be burned on a dvd...

disco is light a very good cd/dvd burning app

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha, no worries, I was just bugging ya... ;) ;D

+1 Apple's built-in Disc Utility is great for many things and many people underestimate its abilities. When it comes to 3rd party software with increased functionality, Toast is great. :cool:

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I agree with what has already been said - I've found that Toast 8 + Mac the Ripper is very reliable for copying DVD's - pretty fast too :)

11. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry for the noobish question but what exactly does this disk utility does ? Where is it? (mac user since Jan 08).

Also I always select the highest quality setting when burning a movie on to a dvd. Is this why its taking over 9 hours to burn a movie thats 2 1/2 hours long? If I left it on normal, will the quality be very noticeable on a 42 inch screen?

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The easiest way to find out is to try it! ;)

13. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yes, encoding will always take a considerable amount of time. Which is why, if you're just planning on backing up your DVD's its best to rip the whole thing using something like MacTheRipper and then burn it without doing all that transcoding stuff.

14. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular