Toast 8X vs 16X burn ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umbilical, Aug 12, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, a stupid question maybe, but I have a maxell 16X dvds for burn... whats the difference on burn between 8x or 16x (ok... speed) but if I burn on slow speed the content of the disc are more secure or is a better burn... or not exist any difference between a slow burn to the fast 16X burn??? :confused:

2. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have my own response, on 16X failed disc!!! on my mac pro PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D ... on 8x! burn perfect... why?????

3. m3kilpat macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with security. A slower burn is more precise and will help prevent a "misburn" which means the disc can skip due to corrupt data. So if you're burning an OS like Windows XP, a slower burn is recommended to prevent data corruption and a bad install disc. For a dvd (video) I'd assume you would just notice a jump in frames while watching.

I'm not sure why it would all out fail at 16x though.

4. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I have a 16x external DVD burner for my Mac Mini, and I backup all my data at 4x. It takes a while, but I have never had a disc burn incorrectly. Its all about how fast you are burning the information into the disc. The slow speeds are a more accurate burn that ensures precise data just like m3kilpat said.

I have done 16x burns successful, but I have found when I went to the disc a year later, it would have difficulty reading, where as my 2x and 4x disc from 5 ~ 6 years ago all read fine.

Personally preference really.

-iGrant