Toast 9 and Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SeanEE89, Mar 17, 2008.

1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

I was wondering if Apple is going to come out with a solution to enable people to actually burn and play Blu-Ray discs? I just bought a new MacBook this past thursday and I was curious.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's a great question...

since my MBA and my BlackBook 2.4 Penryn won't even recognize the Blu-Ray Disc and both computers "spat" the disc out in a matter of seconds! :confused::(

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Perhaps an obvious answer, but I suspect that Apple will provide built-in Blu-Ray support when they start shipping their computers with Blu-Ray drives...oh yeah!

4. alam macrumors regular

alam

i guess that toast only will work with external optical drives, cuz apple still didn't release the blue ray option yet!!!, thats why they r available with toast :p

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Toast 8 can burn to BD and VLC can play BD.

TEG

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well, you can get internal ones fitted. Roxio are just getting ready for a future (almost) certainty.

7. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

is there a way I could play Blu-Ray Movies with my MacBook? I know they can support external monitors up to 1900 X 1200 which is adequate enough for 1080p.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

MBA and BlackBook 2.4 Penryn...

are spitting out the Blu-Ray Disc like it's "a bad sunflower seed!" :(:eek:

9. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried Transporter 2 and it spit out the Blu-Ray disc after trying to read it :confused:

10. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

One, SFStateStudent, if I get this right... you are trying to play a blu-ray movie with a dvd drive? I know the discs may be the same size and may fit into a player, but that does not make them compatible. That's like trying to play a dvd with a VCR. Or, trying to play a dvd with your walkman. Your macbook will only be able to play a blu-ray movie with a blu-ray drive. Apple doesn't have them internal yet. You can buy external drives, but even then, you have to play the movie with windows because no mac apps support blu-ray playback yet (to my knowledge).

SeanEE89, read above. You can play High-Def material with your macbook, such as streaming movies online, buying digital copies, etc. But, you can't play from a blu-ray disc. Just like the macbook air can't even play a CD without the external superdrive, you won't be able to play blu-ray until you have a blu-ray drive in your computer or attached externally.

And, since you will undoubtedly ask this next, no one knows when macs will adopt blu-ray... if ever. Most likely it will be this summer, as intel's Montevina platform provides support for it, but who knows.

11. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Ok, how old are you two?

It's spitting it out because it's a CD/DVD drive. You're trying to put a blu-ray disc into it. They are not the same technology. blu-ray players are generally backwards compatible, that is to say a blu-ray player will play a DVD, but that does not work the other way around. Blu-ray discs are read with a different type of laser. DVD drives cannot read them anymore than your VCR can.

To be clear: Blu-ray IS NOT a high-def movie on a DVD. It is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPE OF DISC, and your DVD drive CANNOT read them.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You need a Blu-Ray Drive to view a Blu-Ray disc.

2) VLC plays Blu-Ray movies just fine.

TEG

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

yep, TEG...

I figured that puppy out, but I was trying to view a blu-ray disc on my BlackBook or my MBA by mini-DVI to S-Video or anything, but I'll just wait to get my new BD-ROM for $299. I've got the Samsung HD/Blu-Ray Disc Player (Dual) for about $450 v. $799, so I'm happy with the 40" Sony Bravia LCD 1080i thang!
    :cool:

15. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Are you saying that you have a blu-ray player and that you were trying to use the screen of your macbook to play a movie on? Through the mini-dvi? For real? That port is an output, not an input.

And no need to dis on my "handle" just because you asked a dumb question.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

VLC can output to other displays other than than the built-in quite easily.

TEG

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks again, TEG...

I need to do some more homework! :eek:

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Oh my...

what does this little button do? "Ignore List" "P-O-O-F" Bye AROPEADOPE!
    :eek::eek::cool:

19. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I know the technology differences between DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-Ray thank you very much. I was just taking a suggestion on the matter. I am going to guess there are no external blu-ray drives for the Mac. I have seen though that the Mac can access PC disc drives and play off of those does that mean if my PC had a Blu-Ray ROM I would be able to access and play off of that as well?

20. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Did you expect it to work??
    You don't have a Blu-Ray drive so why wouldn't your Mac spit it out

21. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

haha decided to try it and see what the result would be.

22. UberD macrumors newbie

vlc and bd?

I saw TEG's comments and was crazy excited. I installed VLC but still have no idea how to get it to play bd. Tried google, did not find any answers (though I did not do an exhaustive search) I have LG GGC-H20L installed on Mac Pro 2008 model. VLC only has disc recognition for dvd/cd. Tried checking them all... does not see the disc. Tried opening via file, tried most folders and files got nothing. Any help, hints, or direction would be very, very, very appreciated. Do I need to copy to hard drive to get it to play?

23. AlienSexGod macrumors member

AlienSexGod

I don't have BD drive to check but pretty sure if you grab the BD equivalent of the first main VoB file directly off the disc and drop it on the VLC icon then the next file will be automatically picked up.

To change monitors just drag the window to the HD monitor.