Toast 9 HD burning problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polomolo, Aug 31, 2008.

1. polomolo macrumors newbie

Hi, I've just recently gotten a HD camera and been going through a lot of problems trying to burn it onto DVD. so I got Toast 9... I've set it on HD DVD and burning on DL DVD. I usually start the encoding job at night so it can finish up in the morning. I did this twice and I got a message with "The last command blabla Mac OS error, Error code = -50"

Seeing that it wasn't really burning anything on the disc I decided to make a Disc image. I did this, and got the same thing. Although, the disc image destination drive has a folder "Roxio converted Items" and these are unreadable files, not sure what they are. But when I try to do the disc image again in the same drive, it skips the long encoding process and the only thing its doing is "Multiplexing" this is a quick process, less than 2 minutes. Reaches 100%, then the progress window goes back to the toast window and gives that error message again.

Would anyone have experienced this? I searched the net and found a lot on toast 7 and 8, not so much on 9. and they are mostly on EyeTV. I'm just burning a .mov file in HD format.

MacBook Pro
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

2. davidleon macrumors member

Try to convert the .MOV file to a VIDEO_TS folder with VisualHub, ffmpegX, or MPEG Streamclip. Then, burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with Toast.

3. polomolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that tip. I'm guessing that in visual hub I have to use the DVD option to make VIDEO_TS folders?
    I did that, but its taking 12000 minutes! I have a huge file of a 1 hour video exported as Apple Intermediate codec on 1440x1080 from imovie. Is there a faster way to do this whole thing?

4. davidleon macrumors member

Encoding (to a VIDEO_TS folder) is dependent on the specs of your machine, whether it be with Toast, VisualHub, etc. Some apps use both of the MacBook Pro's Intel cores, while some don't.

The only significantly quicker way to burn that .MOV file is to burn it as data; however, you won't be able to play it in a standalone DVD player.