Toast 9 titanium: Blu-ray question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sOwL, Aug 17, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

hello. ive been playing with my friend's brand new toast 9 titanium. Id love to buy that coz i plan to put a blu-ray burner on my mac pro soon. My friend doesnt have one. So heres my question:

i went to that menu for creating a "Blu-ray Disc" and it told me that in order to burn high definition (blu-ray or hd) on a dvd i have to get a plugin..... "high definition on dvd"? is that just because my friend doesnt have a blu-ray burner drive or toast 9 cant just burn blu-ray disks and all it does is burning few minutes of high definition on dvds? if anyone knows, pls enlighten me.

ps1:this post could be out of topic, sry if it is
    ps2:i know there are the product's forums for such questions, but i trust these forums more ;)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I don't actually own Toast 9, but I was looking into it and I'm pretty sure the answer is "both."

That is, you're correct that it can burn a relatively short amount of high-def video to a standard single-layer DVD-R; this is supported by many (all?) Blu-ray players--I know my PS3 can play DVD-RWs recorded with AVCHD high-def video, at least.

However, I'm pretty sure it will also burn a "full" blu-ray video disc if you have a blu-ray burner. So yes to both, basically.

I expect that's why you're seeing what you're seeing on your friend's rig, though hopefully somebody else who actually owns a blu-ray burner (guessing not so many at this point) can confirm.

3. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

I think there's a plug-in you need to add to get blueray support if I recall.

4. avingochea macrumors member

Yeah you need to buy the Blu-ray plugin. I think it costs something like $20

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need the plugin for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. It can be found here.

6. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Yes, you need to buy the plug-in in order to do HD discs. Once nice feature is Toast is you can burn with HD or Blu-ray content to a standard DVD that will play in your HD DVD player. I bought a HD-DVD player and was able to burn HD content to a standard disc that played in the HD-DVD player just fine. It's pretty cool.