Toast 9 WILL burn Blu-Ray on standard DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Sep 22, 2008.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I shot an HD tape movie, edited in Final Cut Express, exported as a self contained Quicktime movie and then dragged the file into Toast 9, with the HD plug in.

Toast created a High Definition Blu-ray format DVD that played in a set top Sony Blu-ray burner. Real HD on a standard DVD- disc! The only drawback was the encode time. 18 minutes of HD video took 20 hours on a dual 1.8 G5 tower. Still, I'm amazed it actually worked and looked fabulous!

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

OK. This is a feature of Toast 9 with the HD plug-in only.

Some other notes for those that stumble upon this thread

AVCREC is a subset "optional" feature introduced by the BDA. It won't work with every Blu-ray player. The PS3 (provided you've kept the firmware updated) does support it.

On a side note, the PS3 displays the AVCREC disc as an "AVCHD" disc, but apparently they're different. More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc.

For those with an El Gato EyeTV device hoping to burn "HD" discs using standard "red laser" media—be prepared to jump through a few hoops.

In the BDA's infinite wisdom, they decided not to allow VC-1 or MPEG-2 encoding on standard DVD discs. Therefore, you're stuck re-encoding content into AVC despite the Blu-ray spec supporting VC-1, MPEG-2 and AVC.

Toast 9's implementation of AVCREC automatically re-encodes EyeTV's MPEG-2 files into AVC (MPEG-4) to comply with the AVCREC spec. However, your encoding mileage may vary as I frequently get significant macro blocking from otherwise "good" MPEG-2 HD files.

Currently, Roxio's implementation leaves much to be desired — but it's nice to see them at least supporting it.

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I should have typed "disc played in a Sony set top Blu-Ray PLAYER", sorry. I didn't notice any blocking or distortions on the playback. Anybody else try this?

4. Mit59 macrumors newbie

Toast AND BluRay add-on?

Hi Senseless,

Just to be clear to people finding this thread thru Google/whatever...
    You said you used Toast to do this but as I understand it there is a $20 add-on to Toast that is required as well correct? I think it's called the "Toast® 9 HD/BD Plug-in". Can you confirm this?

Tim

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, to be clear, the HD plug in was $20 extra. I'm not sure why this was an extra and not part of the original package.

6. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

yes it works with great results. i just burned a blu-ray BD-R and BD-RE the other day with 2 hours of HD footage and it looks great.

7. mwprod85 macrumors newbie

Toast9 Crashes

I've tried to burn Blu-ray on a standard DVD, and every time I send it to burn Toast crashes!!

I exported from my HD sequence in FCP, a Self Contained file, dragged it into Toast, and this happens again and again.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. If anyone has an idea why, or could maybe take me through the steps (which I'm sure are pretty easy, and maybe I'm just missing something), that would be really great.

-M

8. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

The quality is abysmal if you let toast encode the video for you. I had a ProRes 422 HQ 720p24 short film that came out looking horrible. It interlaced it and the credits were illegible.

I've quit using toast. Encode with Compressor with the "Blu ray" option checked for Mpeg 2, create disk image with encore and burn dmg with disk util.