Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I just bought this program and I have two questiones so far that I could not find a answer. Anyways the first is every time I open the program it goes threw the setup every time even to the registration again and putting in my keychain password like installing a new program, did I not install it right ? Second I have the program open now and I choose a folder to open were my movies are and I could here the computer serching for the cd in the drive and the little wheel just spins untill I put the cd in the drive, does this program only work with the cd in the drive ? Thanks...

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I just bought this program and I have two questiones so far that I could not find a answer. Anyways the first is every time I open the program it goes threw the setup every time even to the registration again and putting in my keychain password like installing a new program, did I not install it right ? Second I have the program open now and I choose a folder to open were my movies are and I could here the computer serching for the cd in the drive and the little wheel just spins untill I put the cd in the drive, does this program only work with the cd in the drive ? Thanks...

Well I can only say that it certainly does not sound like you have it installed, at least correctly.

I don't have my original disk at hand to look, but when you opened your original disk, did you drag the "Toast 9 Titanium" folder into your Applications folder on your hard drive (or to the link that appears beside it on the original disk?)

I ask because it SOUNDS like you are trying to run the program itself directly from the original disk rather than from the copy that would be installed in the Applications folder if done correctly- particularly the part about going through the setup everytime, as that would be an indication that it was being run from the CD/DVD since it could not store your preferences file on that disk.

Make sure that you are going to your hard drive, opening the Applications folder and then looking for the Toast 9 Titanium folder first- then you can open that folder and either run the program or drag it onto the dock to add it to your dock icons. If you can't find that folder in Applications, then you probably have never dragged it in there (installed it) in the first place.

BTW- You might want to get ahold of Roxio shortly if you just recently bought Toast 9 since Toast 10 was just released yesterday and they might have some kind of "grace" upgrade for recent purchasers.

Let us know what you figure out (or don't figure out) regarding the installation and somebody will be glad to offer further assistance.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

After you drag the Toast files and click on Toast it does go through an "install" of sorts....its basically setup and option choosing.

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Ok but if I go to my app folder the icons are there in the folder

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Ok I got the program working now if some one could help me, I have a copy of Tropic Thunder that I used MTR to copy. So I drag the Video_TS folder to Toast right but when it does that it shows me several screen shots plus it shows total of 3 hours plus of running time, sounds like there may be to many files in there also one more thing the status bar on the bottom shows from green to red. Does that mean there are to many files not enough space, Im trying here.
Thanks...

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Ok I got the program working now if some one could help me, I have a copy of Tropic Thunder that I used MTR to copy. So I drag the Video_TS folder to Toast right but when it does that it shows me several screen shots plus it shows total of 3 hours plus of running time, sounds like there may be to many files in there also one more thing the status bar on the bottom shows from green to red. Does that mean there are to many files not enough space, Im trying here.
Thanks...

That'll be all the DVD extras and stuff. If the original film was on a dual layer disk you will need to burn to dual layer disk as well or use MTR to re-rip it and make sure you only rip the main feature.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
That'll be all the DVD extras and stuff. If the original film was on a dual layer disk you will need to burn to dual layer disk as well or use MTR to re-rip it and make sure you only rip the main feature.

Just to clarify, the idea that the original being on a double layer disk requires a double layer disk is simply incorrect sorry to say. :( One of the Toast features is automatic shrinking (compressing) of video content originally on DL disks (DVD-9) to SL output (DVD-5) which at the lower left of the VIDEO_TS window shows as "Use Fit-to-DVD Video Compression".

Almost all commercial DVDs are on Double Layer disks and many people currently use Toast or DVD2OneX to compress the ripped video data to SL disks. The best video quality (non-compressed) indeed can be obtained by burning to a DL disk, but for many people (me included) the compression to fit on a SL disk does not result in much visible lowering of the quality.

Thanks...

Ok the first question is if you are using the correct tab in Toast, as you should be using the "VIDEO_TS Folders" under the Video projects tab as per the attached illustration. You can then use the "Add" button at the bottom or you can drag your VIDEO_TS folder into the window, then click the red button at the bottom to begin.

The reason I ask this is that what you described sounded pretty odd, so I checked the MTR forums under Title Specific problems and there were not any real problems with your title with the current MTR 3.0 r14m so I have to wonder if Toast is being set up right.

Attachments

• toast.jpg
    toast.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 38

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Only if you are prepared for a huge drop in quality. If you want an accurate copy what I said holds true.

To be fair, a "huge drop in quality" is relative. Not all people see any visual quality loss or only see minor loss that is not objectionable. While a "huge" loss certainly may be apparent to you, that is far from the case for everyone, so each person needs to judge for themselves using current compression software.

To test that very idea when video compression was one of our user group meeting topics, somebody prepared video clips taken from uncompressed rips and from compressed rips from 5 movies. They were shown to the membership in random order and not one person out of about 25 managed to correctly pick all the uncompressed clips. ;)

All that matters in the end is what appears to each person's eyes though!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.