Toast and burn speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Nov 28, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So i have a dvd buner capable of burning at 20x for DVD+R and the disc says 16x capable

however, i cant burn it at 16x, the fastest i seem to get is 8x even when i select 16x in the drop down menu in toast

any ideas on why?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One part of that is that while a particular brand/type of disk may be marked as "16x capable" that doesn't actually mean it will burn at that rate on all burners. Pioneer, for example, has a listing on their site (the firmware updates section if I remember right) that lists the media identifiers of types that will burn at different rates in their burners- and not always does the burn speed match what a type is marked as being "capable" of. Again on Pioneers they will only burn at near the top rate on a very small selection of disk types.

Also all disks will burn at different rates at different parts of the burn as the laser moves from the inside of the disk at the start of a burn to the outside at the end due, so the disk speed in Toast is averaged (as well as showing a momentary burn rate also) so it can be misleading.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

youre first paragraph is very interesting. thanks for the explanation:)