Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
I am thinking of buying Toast, but there is one feature of Toast and Jam that looks particularly appealing. The music DVD thing will burn a DVD video of a selection of CDs, generating for you a navigation menu to choose your album and tracks, and show song information while the music plays.

Toast and Jam however costs about 2x as much as Toast, and I'm not massively interested in the other Jam features. Does anyone know if there is some alternative, possibly stand alone (and preferably free ;)) software that does this DVD music menu thing. Also is this music DVD that it makes as good as it sounds on paper?

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toastwithjam/include/pop_dvdmusic.jhtml

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
When I first read that I thought, "COOL, what a neat feature"! Than I thought about it and realized how I would never in a million years actually use it... I mean, I use my computer for all my music, so why bother...

Anyways, I don't know of a solution to do this automatically, but it would be really easy to do manually... You just would have to author a DVD, add a title for each CD and whatever still images you want for the disc an MPEG still picture sequence (I can't remember what this is called for the life of me, but i know that programs like TM{EG and such do it by default... i assume imovie would?), and for the soundtrack make each tracka chapter for that title... on your menu's you would then have a 'main' menu to pick the title/CD, and a sub menu to select the track.

I am sure I am not explaining this well... but I am willing to bet that you could do it manually with iMovie and iDVD pretty easily if you wanted to.

Good luck finding what you are looking for!

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.