Toast burning DVD problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Manfred21, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Manfred21 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am burning a dvd from footage I have captured using toast. It is just the raw footage with no editing. I use Final Cut Express to capture the footage and burn the DVD with toast. When I play the finished DVD on the computer it works fine all the way. However, when I play it on my DVD player on the television set, about 30mins into the footage it starts skipping and freezes. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Toast does this to me as well. DVDs I burn from a Video_TS folder play fine in my DVD player but when I burn an .avi or .mpg to DVD in Toast it's in black and white and stutters. I usually just burn those files with iDVD, which takes forever but at least they play.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

How old/cheap is the DVD player attached to your TV set? Some older ones just don't like DVD-R's. And try switching from +R to -R (or vice-versa) to see if things improve.

4. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Lower the burn speed. The application is largely irrelevant, acting merely as an interface between digital files and the burner. The burner is what determines the quality. That said, Toast does allow one direct access to burn speed which not all applications do. Lower it as low as it will go and try again. Yes -it takes longer but sometimes goodness can't be rushed. I know for a fact that my Pioneer burner in my G5 (112D model I put in myself to replace the original superdrive) starts getting dodgy in terms of skips, freezes, artifacts etc when the burn speed is 6 or higher. It also really does well with Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs vs other brands I've tried.

5. Manfred21 thread starter macrumors newbie

the burn speed is set to about 2x/3x already. it's pretty slow. i'm thinking it's because i'm using the computer while the disc is burning. could that be a big problem?