Toast buying help?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, May 30, 2011.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I never used Toast for video, except burning DVD's and i have a VERY old version of Toast that doesn't do all the cool new video stuff.
    I recently got a Sony 560V camcorder and I want to get the most out of it. I have read how Toast has helped many people with getting certain video formats off their cams. So my questions is this, should I go with Toast 11 or Toast Pro 11? Toast 11 Pro comes with extra programs I don't need, so thats not important, though if the extras in Toast Pro will make my video life better then its a no brainer.
    So for just getting the video off my camcorder at best qualities is Pro worth it?
    I know its not a huge difference in price, plus I received a coupon.

If Apple would tell us a little more about FCX I may not even need to buy this program. At the moment my FCE is driving me crazy, shuts down every time I try to log and transfer, and everything on the net has not helped. Hence looking at Toast for the time being to help out. Plus my Popcorn is very old, so theres another reason to go with Toast.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

BD option

If the Pro version come with the BD option then do it :)

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Std: $100
    Pro: $150
    Blu-Ray plugin for Std: $20

The question is, is the additional software worth $30?

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Personally I'd wait until the end of next week. It's wwdc so there probably won't be anything on the first day wrt FCx but I'd be surprised if there is anything later in the week.

I have no proof but a hopeful hunch based on apple indicating June as the launch.

Cheers
    Keebler

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Were all waiting for FCPX :) Ive never used Toast to capture video. I honestly doubt its better than FCE but again I dont have any experience with using Toast for acquisition.
    I only suggested Toast due to the BD part of your question sorry.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry - I didnt mean using toast for capture but more in Line of what it might offer for compression and/or output to blu ray. Whether or not it's just FCx and/or an updated compressor / DVD sp workflow

7. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coupon

I would like to wait, I also need to see when Toast 11 came out, since the coupon is 99.99 for Pro, 69.99 for regular.
    I have read people using toast for cams similar to mine, but it could be a waste of money when FCX comes out. It's been an expensive credit card month, only reason I'm thinking about this. Typically it would be a no brainer.
    Thanks for the input.
    Yes BD is big.....when I get a writer of course.

8. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I'm a longtime Toast user and I open it most days at work for various video-related stuff. It's a swiss-army knife app to say the least.

That said, version 11 at this time is half-baked at best. Toast 10 will do everything that 11 can properly do. For example, I've had bad results with the new conversion tools in Toast. Some files I've made don't conform and the interface for changing settings is painfully clunky.

Also, I use Toast regularly to mux DVD files together and save out disc images. In v.11. I don't need the menus and if I did I wouldn't ever use the fugly Toast ones. At least in v.10 you could set it to *not* use a menu and it would remember this. Version 11 keeps defaulting to using a menu so you need to remember *every time* to change it. There are two places to change this, so that's not helpful, either.

V.10 makes BD's just fine. In v.11, no matter what I do, the resulting BD disc is always called "My Movie," which tells clients you're using Windows Movie Maker from 1995. Stupid.

I much prefer the v.10 interface. The 11 interface is full of "options" buttons that don't do anything. It's just awkward.

I submitted feedback to Roxio but so far after two updates nothing has changed that I can see.