Toast:can't burn DVDs no more?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gusious, Aug 5, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hi.

Well,i'm having a problem with toast...

I can't burn anything...I insert the DVD and choose "write from video_TS folder " or something(i can't remember it correctly).

So,when all of this happens and the window minimize i get an error:
    The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

What am i doing wrong?

The DVD says: DVD +R for DATA 4,7GB.

This is not the first time i write a DVD but when i bought those blank DVDs from that guy i can't write anything...

Any suggestions?:)

2. layte macrumors regular

I got that error on my 4 month old SR MBP. It turned out the Superdrive was not so super anymore and required replacing (which took 2 weeks!:mad:)

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

What???Are you kidding me???

But mine used to burn DVDs just fine...:(

EDIT: It can still recognize a music cd or a DVD.Do you think it has problem and i need to replace it?Any thoughts?

4. layte macrumors regular

Mine would read disks and when I first got it, write them without issue, but then it started refusing to burn any media, including some rather expensive branded DVD's.

5. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

A Medium Error when using an optical drive is normally an indication that the drive does not play well with the particular brand/type of disks that you are attempting to burn (or the speed at which you are trying to burn the disks).

Optical drives are notorious for being very picky about this- even different batches of the same brand/type disks can cause this type of error, so it very well could be something as simple as trying to burn a different brand of disk than one that has been previously burned successfully.

Taiyo-Yuden in particular and Verbatim and Maxell seem to have pretty high compatibility, while, in my experience anyway, Memorex is among the worst.

BTW- that still doesn't mean that the drive is not faulty of course, but from what I have seen drive/disk incompatibility is far more common than failed drives.

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

My DVD is Taiyo-Yuden...And i can't burn anything on them...I'll try TDK...I don't think they'll work but....:(

8. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Apparently my MBP has gone crazy...

Last night i attempted to write two music cds with 2 blank TDKs.

So,first i imported them to itunes and then i burned them with Toast.And it worked!!I was so happy.

Until now.I needed to write again those two cds.So i did the same procedure.Guess what.

That same error....

Do you have any idea why is that?:mad:

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, do you mean you tried to write to 2 more TDK disks or are you using -RW disks and trying to write again to the same two disks???

I did a little more research on this, and found quite a bit of information by simply doing a Google search on "0x73" and almost everything listed came down to 0x73, 0x03 being a "power calibration issue".

There seems to be no good way to diagnose whether the drive's power calibration is being caused by problems with the drive itself or the type of media unfortunately, but several people noted that the Matsushita drives in most MacBooks and MacBook Pros are on the extremely fussy end of what disk types they will work with- and a couple of people mentioned that virtually ALL disks of the DVD+R type fail with those drives, but several DVD-R disks work fine.

The other most common solution was to slow the burn way down (to like 2x) to get successful burns-- or simply to buy and use an external burner (for well under $100) and give up on the internal drive!

No real answers there, but wanted to pass along the info- so you might want to Google 0x73 and read more about the problem. Good luck with that frustrating problem! I had the same problem myself with a drive in a G4 that was not solved until I replaced the drive.

10. zero.fx macrumors member

same problem

my story is this, i also has a super drive that doesn't burn so i called apple care they took my computer back and replaced the drive. So i got the computer back and try to burn again and yet it still doesn't burn, so i called them again and moaned since they replaced my drive and still does not want to burn dvds. so i went out and bought some TDKs since they are pretty good brand and hoping it will work but yet again failed with error message on toast and finder. i m going insane about this.

11. pipep macrumors member

0x73, 0x03

Same problem here on a quad 2.66 ghz 2007 mac pro.

This started a few weeks ago, i didn't pay much attention to the problem as i just burned the disc on my laptop, but today i realized this thing ain't burning anything!!

tried with imation dvd-r, never gave me problems before, and burned litteraly thousands of'em in this year and a half. didn't work.

Tried with 2 different sony DVD RW, same problem, as well as sony CD R. sony CD RW, imation CDR, TDK DVD R, Zykon DVD R, Memorex DVD R.

haven't try lowering the speed as it always worked before on automatic.

reading works though.

I've had a similar problem in the past on a pc, when the drive simply lost it's burning habilities, and never worked again.

for everything i've read about this, in my opinion is the drive, not discs.

I'll be calling apple care in march to take care of this situation, hopin' they'll replace the drive and forget about the troubles...

12. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Duh, this is Apple's attempt to move you into the "Diskless Society."

What the heck do you need to burn a disk for!?:eek:;)

P.S. I do not think it is the drive or the disks, it is the OS!

13. mawjav macrumors newbie

Burnt Toast

Hmmm. Same error message as me.

However, I also own an external DVD/CD drive which I use with my ASUS. So, when I got the SENSE KEY error repeatedly, I plugged in my external and tried using that to burn DVDs fro my Mac.

Zilch. Same error.

I don't think it means your superdrive is fragged.

I think it's a software bug in Toast.

Try using different burning software. That's my next step.

Martin

14. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

When you do can you post the results here?

15. pipep macrumors member

u'r right, i've tried to burn a dvd directly from the finder, and got same calibration problems, as well as from iphoto and idvd, even with dvd studio pro always get the same message, no matter the speed or the brand of disc. Can't check it with windows as don't have it installed on that computer, might be the os, BUT on a mbp have the same exact programs, versions etc, and i'm not gettin troubles, so my guess is

is an os x compatibility problem with certain brands of recorders

or

the burner is fried.

16. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

If it was fried,then it wouldn't also read from cds/dvds right?

17. pipep macrumors member

u'r right.

don't know how the thing actually works technically, but it has happened to me before (on a pc) that a recorder looses it's writing abilities but keeps reading...
    that time, a few years ago, they told me it was because of excessive use, totally normal (this things have limited hours of work they said...)

i guess i've burn on this recorder smthg around 6 or 7 hundred dvd's so doesn't surprise me much that the thing just died, what really surprise me is all the pple round with the same problem! :confused: