Toast killing my Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikebatho, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I'm running Toast 7 and it's killing my mac speed completely.

Seriously, it's taken about 8 mins just to type this, as the spinning beachball has been more or less constant, and when it's not there, you type a line then watch as it slowly appears on screen letter by letter.

And it's all apps. When I'm using Toast, that's my imac pretty much out of order until toast finished. And it's currently encoding AVI files to burn a DVD video, so it's going to be running for hours.

Is there anything I can do about this apart from only run toast through the night? Can I dictate how much system power it's able to hog? :(

Thanks.

2. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Beachball

I am running 10.8.4.....about six months ago...I had a similar problem.
    Here is what to do to determine what the issue might be.
    Log out. Create a new user...call it tester...then boot to that user. See if you have the problems you described with this new user. If you do then, you will
    have to do what Apple Care told me....reinstall the OS...hopefully you have an external HD that has been backing up your files.
    If it does not, then there is something wrong with the user you have.
    I have that software and have not had a problem with it. Try going into
    the "library" find Roxio Toast Prefs for that application and trash it....then restart it.

3. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Toast 7 was designed for 10.3 on a G4. Given the age of the system is there any chance that this is indication of the ROM drive failing? What I mean is, there is a problem and toast is handling it because it's not a complete failure? The price you pay is slow speed though? Maybe?

Tough to really help you troubleshoot without knowing system stats, what console is telling you, and how you narrowed this down to being a problem in Toast. Maybe you could try a newer version and see if you have the same issue?

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'm just using an old version of Toast. I upped the RAM (doubled) a while ago and moved up to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, only about 6 months ago, so the system should be running ok...

If not the newest, which is the most compatible version of Toast to run with this OS?

Toast is defo the problem, as it's the only time I have any issues. I can happily have Photoshop, Illustrator, Itunes & Firefox running at the same time and everything works fine. I open Toast? Boom... Instant crud fest....