Toast: stripping dvd extras

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scan, Apr 5, 2007.

1. scan macrumors 6502

I have some DVDs that I have on my HDD that are uncut. I know using Toast I can burn a DVD and strip out the extras (trailers, extras, etc), but can I do this with a DVD that's on my HDD? My goal is to cut out the extras so it fits on a blank 4.7gb dvd.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you own the DVD, and you shouldn't be doing this unless you own the DVD, I reocmmend using MacTheRipper to make a movie-only copy. But even doing that won't guarantee that the file will fit on a 4.7 disc. Many (most) movies require the use of a shrinker to make them fit on a single layer disc.

For shrinking, I use DVD2OneX. It's the fastest and most reliable one I've come across.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

As epochblue said I'd either use MacTheRipper to make a movie only copy. I back up my DVDs doing this.

An alternative is to rip the full disc using MTR and then using DVD2OneX you can compress only the main movie.

4. murdoc158 macrumors regular

You can select what to copy to the DVD under copy options. You can only cut things out when importing a Video_TS folder. You cannot strip extras from disk image (.img .iso) files.