Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Well, I bit the bullet and bought Toast Titanium 7 from Buy.com. Pretty good deal ~ $46 after the $20 mail in rebate. I kick myself that I saw it just b4 Christmas for $40 but oh well. Anyway, I'm beginning to explore the capabilities. One of the things I was really looking forward to was burning music CD's WITH Text, singer and song title, that you can't do burning from iTunes. Well, tried to import a playlist and Toast said that I could only burn "purchased" iTunes music from iTunes:( . Is there a way around this besides the obvious of going out and buying CD's? Thanks.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
For some reason Roxio dropped the ability to burn purchased music in one of the point updates to Toast 6. I don't know if Apple stopped them from including the feature or what, but it's been gone for a while.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
zagato27 said:
Well, I bit the bullet and bought Toast Titanium 7 from Buy.com. Pretty good deal ~ $46 after the $20 mail in rebate. I kick myself that I saw it just b4 Christmas for $40 but oh well. Anyway, I'm beginning to explore the capabilities. One of the things I was really looking forward to was burning music CD's WITH Text, singer and song title, that you can't do burning from iTunes. Well, tried to import a playlist and Toast said that I could only burn "purchased" iTunes music from iTunes:( . Is there a way around this besides the obvious of going out and buying CD's? Thanks.

The easiest way would involve burning the protected tracks in iTunes and then reimporting them as AAC sans the DRM.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
treblah said:
The easiest way would involve burning the protected tracks in iTunes and then reimporting them as AAC sans the DRM.

Yes, after I started the thread I began thinking of that. If you burn the tracks to a CD they lose their title and artist. Then I'd have to reimport them and put in that info. Gosh, seems such a waste of time. Guess I'll use a CD-RW and burn them and then reimport them, add song and artist info and then try burning with Toast. Hmmm, I haven't investigated the new iTunes that I just download. Think they incorporated burning "text" info????? Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
The music that you rent...

No... you can't use the music that you rent from Apple in Toast, or for that matter any other application other than Apple's apps.

I say rent, because you don't own that music... sure you paid .99 for it, but you don't own it... Apple does... and according to their terms of service agreement which they can (and do) change whenever they want... you can only burn it with their applications.

If you owned it, you could do things with it that you could do with any other song that you purchased and owned, like a CD that you buy from the store.

So... if you want to really own your music, buy CDs... if you like renting, buy from iTunes.

BTW - if you're looking to use your rented music in other apps without burning a disc and wasting it... here's some options...

1. Use Audio Hijack... it saves a perfect copy of the audio down on your desktop without any loss of quality (burning a CD and reripping would have loss of quality)

OR

2. Open iMovie, create new project, add a single photo to the project, add a purchased music track as your soundtrack, go to Share menu, save out project as QuickTime movie, go to advanced options and save out as AIFF audio, then drag/drop into iTunes

BTW - for the poster who hoped that iTunes added CD-TEXT... forget it... CD-TEXT is a burning related thing, and Apple's probably taken burning as far as they plan to... they don't want you to burn discs... that's sold "old fashioned" :)

It's pretty obvious that they want all of us to go out and buy 60GB iPods as the way to store and transfer and watch/listen to our video and audio.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
road dog said:
1. Use Audio Hijack... it saves a perfect copy of the audio down on your desktop without any loss of quality (burning a CD and reripping would have loss of quality)

Burning a CD and re-ripping doesn't result in a loss of quality unless you re-encode the re-ripped tracks to something compressed like AAC or MP3. If you just re-rip them as AIFF or WAV and then use Toast to burn them yet again, you won't lose any quality compared to the original 128 kbps AAC file from iTMS.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mduser63 said:
Burning a CD and re-ripping doesn't result in a loss of quality

I don't know how accurate this is, but I've heard that ripped CDs aren't prefect copies. Something to do with using 2352 bytes per sector and having no error-checking codes. However, this might only apply for scratched/dirty CDs - does anyone know what I'm talking about and can you confirm/unconfirm (what's the opposite of confirm?) this?

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
mduser63 said:
Burning a CD and re-ripping doesn't result in a loss of quality unless you re-encode the re-ripped tracks to something compressed like AAC or MP3. If you just re-rip them as AIFF or WAV and then use Toast to burn them yet again, you won't lose any quality compared to the original 128 kbps AAC file from iTMS.

that's true... but it's impractical to keep uncompressed AIFF files on your hard disk... since they're 10 MB per minute... so people generally have to reencode them and there is a loss of quality then.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I remember reading a post on this forum about that, how Apple asked Roxio to drop this feature. i.e. stopping people burning DRM music from iTunes

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
yah... i'm sure there was a few apple lawyers who forced roxio to take this out. i remember people originally thought roxio did this on their own, but that didn't make much sense... why would a company willingly remove features from their product?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Nermal said:
I don't know how accurate this is, but I've heard that ripped CDs aren't prefect copies. Something to do with using 2352 bytes per sector and having no error-checking codes. However, this might only apply for scratched/dirty CDs - does anyone know what I'm talking about and can you confirm/unconfirm (what's the opposite of confirm?) this?

I've never heard that before. CDs do have error checking built in, but of course, if a CD is scratched or dirty enough you'll still get errors. With my medium knowledge of CD technology, I can think of no reason why you wouldn't be able to get a perfect copy of the audio on a CD. It is after all 44.1 kHz sample rate 16-bit PCM audio, nothing particularly exotic. If you find a source for that info, I'd be interested to read it. I'm actually working on a little app that will check ripped files for problems in my spare time, and such knowledge would be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.